Tiles above hob have fallen down.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The back wall in our kitchen is tiled onto MDF which is attached to the wall (I assume it was done like this as the wall was a bit uneven). Now after only 6 months, the tiles that are above the hob and oven have fallen off.
Is this because the grout dried out? How can I avoid this happening again as we desperately want to re-tile it as it looks horrible at the moment.

Sponsored Links
MDF is not really a suitable back ground surface. If you can remove the MDF or board over it and start again, that will more likely cause problems with you tiles levels with rest of walls. But tiles on MDF will fail.
If the rest of the tiled walls are of MDF, expect the lot to fall out.

Agree with PBD, MDF is not a suitable tile base; you need to remove & replace it with either plasterboard (preferable moisture resistant) or a proprietary tile backer board.

Make sure you use a quality trade flexible adhesive & grout suitable for the size & type of tiles, own brand & DIY products are mostly crap.

Oh blimey, this is going to be a big job then :(
Thanks for the advice, will now have to find someone to do the work for me.

Sponsored Links
will now have to find someone to do the work for me.
Be carefull who you pick & take references; believe it or not, not all those who say they are "tilers" actually know how to tile!

I've just been having another look at this job and I think the MDF goes down behind the work tops, so removing it would leave a gap between the back of the work top and the newly put up tiles.
Is it possible to remove the rest of the tiles and cover the MDF in some sort of material that the tiles would then stick to better? I don't know what sort of material, I'm clutching at straws here!

Could be worth giving Mapei technical support a call. Regarding the use of "Primer G" and "Keraquick".
Mapei House Steel Park Road - Halesowen, West Midlands, B62 8HD - Phone 44-121-5086970 - Fax 44-121-5086960 - [email protected]

Thanks I'll do that.

One last question on this matter. Is there any way of removing the dried adhesive from the tiles so I can use them again? They weren't cheap and was hoping there is some kind of solution i can dunk them so the adhesive comes off easily. I'm really clutching at straws here aren't I?

The adhesive will come off, it wants softening up, soaking in hot water will help, also gentle heat from a heat gun. Then it should scrape off.

Brilliant, just what I wanted to hear. At least I can save some money from this disaster tiling session. Thanks :)

I leave tiles in a bucket of water for a week if I need to re-use, adhesive scrapes off fairly easily then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back