Tiles have fallen from roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We have lived in our house for 5 years. When we moved in the roof tiles looked in pretty good shape and fairly new, they still do.

But today 2 fell from the roof. I've no idea if this is a problem or cause leaks or not. Should I get someone to look at it or replace them or are just 2 tiles not important.

Also who should I ask? A builder I suppose. What kind of price would it be do you think? I live in London.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would have thought missing roof tiles would increase the likelihood of a roof leaking don't you think? Is there felt? If so then that should protect the roofspace until you have it fixed. I wonder if a Roofer would be a good person to get to fix your roof?

Great thanks. And patronising tone at no extra cost? A bargain! ;)

But honestly thanks, I realise I'm ignorant on the subject, I didn't even know there was a dedicated profession for roofs.

I also thought that calling out someone to fix 2 tiles might be overkill. I mean it has to cost me at least £100? I don't know. What if then 2 weeks later another tile falls?

Yes the patronising tone is always free on this Forum, its the one thing you can rely on!

So have you got felt or not? If not have you been up and had a looksee at the existing tiles? One assumes not as there'd be a photo and some blurb on your thoughts (more patronising there). What do the battens look like (condition wise)?

Some roofers may refuse a small job, others will not, your chosen roofer can advise as to whether it was a freak event or the rest of the roof is about to fall off. Ideally your chosen roofer will come from a recommendation from, friends, neighbours or work colleagues. Have a chat with a few and suss out who sounds best. Costs will vary depending on height of roof, access, position of missing tiles on roof, spare tile availability etc etc.

Sponsored Links
:D

I haven't been up on the roof, but I can see where there the tiles have come from. There is a light grey material under them rather than a gaping hole, that's gotta be good news hasn't it? Probably felt I guess.

I can get inside the roof so I could check things there if that's any use?

Battens? hehe I'll have a guess here, the things you nail the tiles to? I can't see them from the outside, should I check inside the roof?

I don't know any builders worst luck (grew up in a family full of them and now I know none!) But I'll check with the neighbours.

Thanks.

Depending on what part of the roof the tiles have fallen from and what type they are will determine how much it will cost to replace the tiles, so get a pic of your roof uploaded. Theres a few lads on here in and around the London area, maybe one of them can help?

Where in London are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back