Tiles on front of 1930s semi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post here!

I'm in the early stages of planning a 1930s semi renovation. Bit of a novice and TBH will probably get most of my work done professionally so I'm cheating a bit by posting in a DIY forum but you guys seem to have lots of great ideas so wanted to pick your brains :D

On the front of the house, between the two windows, there are tiles and these are currently quite ugly and need replacing. View media item 75301
My first question is, what is the purpose of tiles in this area of the house, what would be behind them?

Secondly, is there an alternative to tiles? Could I go for wooden cladding for a more modern look? I've tried searching for images but not come up with anything.

Sponsored Links
In my experience (i have the same 1930's build but rendered finish) is, it will be a hollow wooden framed structure. The tiles are just a simple, quick and easy cover. You can rip them off, cement board and render, or if you want clad it with wood. Wood will need treating, my neighbour has cladded with upvc similar to fascia's, not to my tastes thought

Purpose - mainly decorative rather than functional. As to what is behind them, could be just timber frame over rough brick or blockwork.

Changing to cladding would, in my opinion, look totally naff and out of keeping with the surrounding houses, which will doubtless be of similar style.

Sponsored Links
Kddiy, I agree that I would probably want to keep in fitting with the other houses, I'm just not a fan of the tiles on the front. But beefpotnoodles idea of rendering would seem a good alternative. Thank you both for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back