Tie bars 1930s semi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've just bought a 1930s semi and it has tie bars which my structural survey said suggested minor historic movement, but with no ongoing concerns. However since I've purchased, I've read lots of horror stories about tie bars being red flags for buyers and insurers, and I'm driving myself a bit mad with worry (this is the first time I've owned a home on my own, so I don't have any other adults in the house to counterbalance my anxiety!).

I was only asked about subsidence, heave and landslip by my insurer, so I was able to answer no to those as none of those have been a concern. My surveyor's comments on the tie bars in the report are attached. I've read it's common for houses to have tie bars in areas that may have been bombed during the war etc. The odd thing is I can't see any tie bars on my street (hundreds of identical 1930s properties) other than my house and the adjoining semi. As there's no suggestion of current movement, am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228_171438_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228_171438_Samsung Notes.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
As the report says, tie bars provide lateral restraint to wall panels and usually indicate that external walls have bowed outwards because of lack of restraint from the joists. Cracking can sometimes also occur where the external walls meet the party walls (or at corners).

Modern regulations require restraint straps to be provided to tie walls to joists as a method of preventing bowing, but in the past the friction between the built in joists and the walls was all there was to prevent movement.

The fact that your property has now been tied should mean that the risk of any future bowing is minimal and the property is likely to be more structurally sound than similar neighbouring properties that haven't been tied.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it! Trying to calm my anxiety and get on with the business of enjoying the new place is tricky, so this helps a lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back