Wall Tie Replacement

joe-90 said:
noseall said:
stop digging holes joe.

please, it's embarrassing.

Maybe you'd like to join me in a technical debate - if you dare.

at a farm house close to where i live, and on an exeptionally windy day, the external leaf of a gable end was torn away from the internal leaf due to negative pressure and a lack of header bricks spanning to the internal leaf. the inner leaf was held intact by the purlins and the interlocking lathe mortar.

it was noted that had the external leaf been adequately bonded to the inner leaf this would not have happened, in the real world and not in joes world.

but you would know all about wind pressure wouldn't you joe? (as he frantically googles away) :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So it wasn't a wall tie problem - just bad building. You only get headers in solid walls. So what point are you making?

wall ties or headers were options joe.

doh!!

you can secure two leaves of a wall together with stainless ties, you don't have to have a cavity.

noseall said:
wall ties or headers were options joe.

doh!!

you can secure two leaves of a wall together with stainless ties, you don't have to have a cavity.

Headers weren't options. Do you build your cavity walls without cavities then? :confused:

Sponsored Links
the inner leaf was blockwork the outer leaf was a decorative brick to match the main house.

does any one here know how i can type s l o w l y to allow joe to understand?

noseall said:
the inner leaf was blockwork the outer leaf was a decorative brick to match the main house.

does any one here know how i can type s l o w l y to allow joe to understand?

Just try making sense.

Well here I sit, an empty shell, soul destroyed, with no motivation to go on now that I know that all the experience, all the training, all the studying have been for nothing. Lied to by those supposedly 'in the know' and I have (unknowingly) spread the mis-information.

In fact, unlike the wall with no ties, my own world has collapsed. No mortar in the joints would have made any difference or prevented it from tumbling down. Despite what I thought to be sound foundations, this previously unknown information has come like a demolition ball, and nothing can stand up to it.

How many more 'secrets' are to come out - is cement really needed in concrete - or is it just a scam by RMC?
Does timber really need to be painted or have Dulux suckered us in with that loveable dog?
Are chimneys really necessary or have British Gas got us to literally send all the heat up the chimney to boost their profits?

Looks like I'll have to pack the job in and go back to school. I'll even have to sell the shares in Expamet and Simpson, as sales are likely to go down from now on.

What a day!

Joe , I take it that from your comments that when you build a cavity wall, you don't use cavity ties.
Well do you or don't you?

Joe said
Stainless steel ties

Why?

anobium said:
Joe , I take it that from your comments that when you build a cavity wall, you don't use cavity ties.
Well do you or don't you?

Joe said
Stainless steel ties

Why?

Why what?

^woody^ said:
Well here I sit, an empty shell, soul destroyed, with no motivation to go on now that I know that all the experience, all the training, all the studying have been for nothing. Lied to by those supposedly 'in the know' and I have (unknowingly) spread the mis-information.

In fact, unlike the wall with no ties, my own world has collapsed. No mortar in the joints would have made any difference or prevented it from tumbling down. Despite what I thought to be sound foundations, this previously unknown information has come like a demolition ball, and nothing can stand up to it.

How many more 'secrets' are to come out - is cement really needed in concrete - or is it just a scam by RMC?
Does timber really need to be painted or have Dulux suckered us in with that loveable dog?
Are chimneys really necessary or have British Gas got us to literally send all the heat up the chimney to boost their profits?

Looks like I'll have to pack the job in and go back to school. I'll even have to sell the shares in Expamet and Simpson, as sales are likely to go down from now on.

What a day!

Never mind. Try learning a little physics - then you can understand what is really going on - not just what some plonker tells you.

I note that you cannot answer the questions I posed you.

Clearly the only way this is gonna get sorted is for joe-90 and woody to have a no holds barred bare knuckle fist fight!

I want him to answer the questions I asked of him.

For the benefit of the original poster I'll explain what is going on with his house.

First of all your real problem began with the render failing and letting in water.

This water got trapped behind the render and as it cannot get out it has soaked into the brick.

This in turn has caused the wall ties to rust and expand.

This expansion has created the tell-tale horizontal cracks that your surveyor has seen.

If you do as I say and fix up the render then that will stop water getting behind it and rusting the ties.

In other words the wall will dry out and wall tie corrosion will cease.

The wall will then stabilise and you'll save a fortune which you can spend on real jobs that need doing.

Is everyone clear now?

Good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back