Wall tie question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to build a detached single block wall garage. When fitting wall plate tie straps, can they be attached to the external face of the wall and rendered over? I don't fancy the straps being visible on the inside.

Sponsored Links
Wall plate restraint straps typically come in galvanised.

Part of their purpose is to restrain the roof from spreading - to do this they must be on the inside.

The wall plate is located on the inside, flush with the inside face of the masonry.

Blg Regs call for inside fixing.

FWIW: a house sale surveyor would call them out if noticed.

Sponsored Links
Wall plate restraint straps typically come in galvanised.

Part of their purpose is to restrain the roof from spreading - to do this they must be on the inside.

The wall plate is located on the inside, flush with the inside face of the masonry.

Blg Regs call for inside fixing.

FWIW: a house sale surveyor would call them out if noticed.

Ah! that makes sense, thanks again.

NO. They go on the inside.
Thanks for your reply. Can you expand a bit, why can't they be attached to the outside? Technically I can't see what the difference is, if corrosion is an issue then they can be stainless steel.

With all due respect to Ree, technically you are right providing you are building a single skin block wall garage, rendered externally, which you say you are.
You do not state your roof construction, which can lead to a different ball game, so we will assume it is a flat roof,
Stainless steel strapping is readily available , but you have to punt round for it.
Vertical strapping to wall plate has nothing to do with restraint or spreading on a well designed flat or pitched roof.
The BI may cough and scratch his head as it is not usual to do it this way, but ask him, besides the pretty picture in ADA showing straps on inside, where does it state in black and white that they must be on the inside.
As previousy stated pitch roofs are a different animal.
Regards oldun

I think he's doing it single block, so wall plate will sit on single 4" wall?

@OP - you could put them on the outside and render over them, but within a year or so they will rust and force the render off and look dreadful.
Put them on the inside!

Vertically applied restraint straps should be somewhere in the Regs. Back in the day, my BCO's, who were both ex-brickies, insisted on them for flat and pitched roofs - both BCO's were strictly by the Regs men.

On RICS Surveyor controlled work such as fixing a spreading roof, we were obliged to install long heavy-duty straps (with other remedies) to prevent any further spreading.

On flat roofs the straps offer wind uplift resistance - although after one storm i saw strapped down flat roofs (with soffits) that had been tossed to one side, the blocks still attached to the straps.

Single block wall could, of course, mean any width from 75mm to 190mm.

Thank you for all comments.

I'll be building with 140mm blocks so that Piers won't be required, the pitch will be 22.5 degrees.

Vertically applied restraint straps should be somewhere in the Regs..
They are mentioned in the Regs, but whether they are on the inside or outside isn't.
They would be put on the inside on a cavity wall because it's the only place you can fix them.
They can be omitted if the roof is more than 15d pitch, tiled or slated, of a type known by local experience to resist wind and has main timbers spanning less than 1.2 centres.
Years ago they were not used, but were introduced because a few roofs were getting wind damage.

There writes a man who knows his BRs
As we said previously, pitched roofs are a different animal. And if your pitch is 22.5, then technically according to ADA you do not need holding down straps although from past experience BI usually ask for them as they do not know there own BRs
In new builds under NHBC. they look at it differently. If holding down straps are specified on drawing , then they must be included. If not specified then do not fit them.

Tony . Disagree with your comments with regard to render blowing of Stainless Steel straps with in a year or so. :eek: Will explain why if you require.
Regards oldun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back