NEW Porch - structural question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm going to be building a 1000x1600 twin pitch clay tile roof porch and even thought it doesn't need buidling control approval I still want to build it well.

the final design is still unsure between single 150 skin sandstone dwarf wall to 800mm then glazed or same sandstone to full height with dinwos either side.

So I guess I should build the footings to take the full wall, but the question is this (are these)....

Are 300wx100deep strip foundations sufficient?
How deep should they be?
Should I lay a layer of blocks to above ground level then dpc then sandstone? (if so what ties the sandstone to the footings?

In between the walls I will lay 100mmthick slab over 50mm jablite that is over dpm over 50mm sand over normal earth. Is this correct or must I put in hardcore?

I was planning to tie the whole thing in using frame screws (for glazed option) or rawl plugged wall ties (for solid wall) and expansion bolts to tie the rooof structure to the external wall and wall plate strapped to walls for the structure to sit on.

Does this sound about right?

thanks for any advice and opinions,
Tom

Sponsored Links
dig the foundations down about 600mm minimum providing it is virgin earth. pour the foundations at 300mm wide and 200mm thick.

you would also be better laying 100mm hardcore beneath the floor slab too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back