Re-rendering turns into cavity wall tie failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice please.....
I have a standard 'two up two down' terrace property. The render to the back of the house and extension needs TLC - it's blown in many places, the metal work around the corner edges of windows and doors has rusted and the rust is coming through the render and there are cracks a plenty.
My builder has taken two one foot pieces of plaster off of the block work walls and has declared that the whole block work outer skin of the back of the house will need to be taken down and rebuilt as there are no wall ties.
I'm sceptical.
Is is possible to tell if there are no wall ties or the ties have failed? Would the wall need to be removed completely or could wall ties be drilled in? Are there any ways to test the wall? Check for ties?
The quote for the rebuild work is £2,200 plus re-rendering and painting (a further £1,200).
Also, the upstairs bedroom window has no lintle(?). Should it have? Is there a building reg that says it should have?

Help?

Sponsored Links
This is beyond a mere spread - Richard C or someone might help but look at the other forums.

You should have lentils over windows, but may houses do not and are sound, or have lentils that are supported by the windows or lees than half a brick each side.

You need to get a few people in to look at it - but hold tight.

On teh face of it 2.2 k to rebuild does not sound mad - IF, THAT IS , it needs doing

Why do not look into the Helifix system thats a simple way to install wall ties without the need of removing walls.

Just fill the holes on completion, add a bit of paint - job done

Wall ties can be inspected with an endoscope :idea: and replaced from the outside quite easily :idea: The angle beads SHOULD have been stainless but weren`t ; so rusted :oops: There are firms that have the Tech. to do Cavity work in Sussex ;) and probably similar ones in Hants.

Sponsored Links
You should have lentils over windows, but may houses do not and are sound, or have lentils that are supported by the windows or lees than half a brick each side.
I used to have lentils over my windows. Mind you, I did live under an Indian restaurant. : )

The guy is taking rubbish. You can't declare anything from a tiny sample. Is the wall bowing out? If not tell him to pizz off.

First thing it to have the cavities properly checked by somebody who knows what they're doing. Wall ties can be inserted if necessary - but I would be surprised if that was the problem.

In t'old days the external brickwork was often built directly off the window head. This was possible due to the fact that the widows were wooden and had strong mullions and head sections.

When replacing the old wood fellas with say pvcu then an external lintel becomes a relevant issue, particularly when that window is designed with a large top opener for instance.

In t'old days the external brickwork was often built directly off the window head. This was possible due to the fact that the widows were wooden and had strong mullions and head sections.

When replacing the old wood fellas with say pvcu then an external lintel becomes a relevant issue, particularly when that window is designed with a large top opener for instance.

I used to work for a company that did window replacements, (wood upvc, aluminium etc). Used to see lots of older houses with wooden window frames with a brick soldier course above, built straight off the window frame. Was a nightmare taking them out. Most if not all had joggled horns set into the brickwork and the soldier course inevitably fell out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back