Wall Tie Replacement

Sponsored Links
Anobium said

Joe , I take it that from your comments that when you build a cavity wall, you don't use cavity ties.
Well do you or don't you?

Joe said
Stainless steel ties

Anobium said
Why?

Joe said
Why what?

Anobium said
You obviously do not have the courage of your convictions,

Joe said
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the benefit of the original poster I'll explain what is going on with his house.

First of all your real problem began with the render failing and letting in water.

This water got trapped behind the render and as it cannot get out it has soaked into the brick.

This in turn has caused the wall ties to rust and expand.

This expansion has created the tell-tale horizontal cracks that your surveyor has seen.

If you do as I say and fix up the render then that will stop water getting behind it and rusting the ties.

In other words the wall will dry out and wall tie corrosion will cease.

The wall will then stabilise and you'll save a fortune which you can spend on real jobs that need doing.

Is everyone clear now?

Oh what the hell, I give up, where is Softus when you really need him.

Sponsored Links
Yes that is correct

And that is the only accurate thing that you have said in this thread. Nice one.
moon.gif

If you bait me by suggesting that lack of a post from me must mean that I agree with you, then it shouldn't come as a surprise to you when I say overtly that I don't.

I'm not interested enough in this topic to say any more than that. You may, if it amuses you, proceed to suggest that I've lost an argument (whatever argument you want it to be). Be my guest. It won't be any more significant than a solitary grain of sand in the never-ending beach of forum life.

i'm afraid joe is probably right. leaf separation is indeed a rare event. but not so rare as to be impossible

so do we over engineer buildings to be over safe?

does this mean a builder could leave out every other joist?

maybe nail a roofing batten every other rafter?

tie wires every 12 courses?

leave the odd shovel of cement out of the mix?

50mm lintel bearings?

etc, etc.

only in joes world i fear. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back