Wall Tie Replacement and isolation of corroded wall ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've had a survey of a 1960's bungalow and the surveyor has highlighted horizontal cracking caused by wall tie erosion. Any idea of cost of replacing ties and having the existing ones isolated? It has cavity wall insulation and is showing signs of damp. The front of the bungalow is rendered, other walls are brick with flaking paint! Also concerned at what it will look like after the work has been done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
We are in the same situation part of our 2 bedroom bungalow (built 1925) is rendered but the large gable end is not (its the last house in the street). Have had 2 estimates the first before we bought the property and one this week both very similar prices £1000 and £1200

The first used a borescope (I was not there when survey carried out) and the one this week reveled the end of 6 wall ties (found in the wall using a metal detector)all of which were rusty.

The second company seemed very competent and had been recommended by a builder who had used them to check out a flat he was buying. In his case the wall ties were OK but at least he could see they were OK.

They propose to use stainless steel rods with neoprene collars at either end and a drip collar in the center. As they are locked up in the drilled holes the collar expands and locks to the inner wall then locks to the outer wall.

Holes are filled with a colour matched cement, he showed me some that had been left in the bottom of bucket from another job it looked a good match for our own brickwork, and the old ties (fishtails) are isolated from the wall. He estimated the work would take about 4 days

I have asked the company to clarify what is covered by their 30 year warranty, which appears to be only company based, and what happens to the warranty if the company stops trading for any reason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back