Cavity wall insulation and cavity wall ties mentioned in survey

The surface area of the bricks is very much greater than the exposed surface of mortar.

If it had been rendered over the entire wall, that would make a difference, but it's a cavity wall with machine-pressed bricks and a DPC, so unless the gutters are spilling, no particular reason the walls would be damp. Lime mortar is softer and can accommodate a bit of movement. I can see some cracks and gaps in the mortar joints, especially round the arch, which I think need rectifying before repointing the wall. They may be very old. I haven't noticed severe cracks suggesting subsidence. Have a look at the neighbours houses as they will be similar construction.
Cheers for this. I have actually (embarrassingly) just put another post about the possibility of subsidence as it is our biggest worry about the survey. The neighbours house is a good shout but as they have recently had it repointed it may be hiding a multitude of sins. If this house had been repointed like theirs it is very unlikely the surveyor would have noticed anything though, for what it is worth??

1714333204528.png

Sponsored Links
There is no way any good surveyor can go straight from "a bit of repointing" to "possible cavity tie failure". No way, unless he does have an S on his chest.

There is no way any good surveyor can go straight from "a bit of repointing" to "possible cavity tie failure". No way, unless he does have an S on his chest.
I guess he was wondering if the patchy repairs that are evident on both the front and back are a cover up of cavity wall issues coupled with the fact it had retrospective cavity wall insulation which can cause such issues??? (no expert).

To my eye, and i am no expert, i dont see any normal signs of wall tie failure...

Sponsored Links
Yes, a surveyor can't just rock up to a house and proclaim wall tie failure or any defect without there being sufficient actual evidence to suggest that the defect is actually present or at significant risk of occurring. He can't just assume that every old house will have every defect possible. Nor that every bit of recent work is a mask for further hidden problems. That's not a report, that's a work of fiction.

Even when things are a possibility, the liklihood of it occuring has to be gauged and reasoned, and it is that which then determines the level of risk and the need for relevant action - a note to be aware or further investigation.

Yes, a surveyor can't just rock up to a house and proclaim wall tie failure or any defect without there being sufficient actual evidence to suggest that the defect is actually present or at significant risk of occurring. He can't just assume that every old house will have every defect possible. Nor that every bit of recent work is a mask for further hidden problems. That's not a report, that's a work of fiction.

Even when things are a possibility, the liklihood of it occuring has to be gauged and reasoned, and it is that which then determines the level of risk and the need for relevant action - a note to be aware or further investigation.
Thanks for this. We are very green to this and so a report from a structural engineer that says these things is alarming to our untrained eyes! It is good to get perspective on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back