Tiles on to "something" on to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a brick chimney breast into which I am having fitted a Rayburn. I am going to tile inside the recess, above and beside the range.

The space is currently about 2 inches too wide. Plus the bricks are very uneven. So I need to render on to the brick to get a flat surface and to add about an inch of thickness.

What is the best way to do this? I was thinking of using browning plaster straight on to the brick, and then treating it with acrylic tile primer before tiling. Someone suggested I use cement render instead, just in case there is dampness in the back (external) wall.

Or would it be best to fix some kind of sheet material instead? If so, what sort, ply perhaps? And how is that best prepared for tiling?

Thanks in advance,
Orval

Sponsored Links
So I need to render on to the brick to get a flat surface and to add about an inch of thickness.
That’s too thick.

What is the best way to do this? I was thinking of using browning plaster straight on to the brick
You can’t use Gypsum plaster it will only stand 49 degree, it will fall off. Sand/cement/lime render but, as before, 1” is too thick.

and then treating it with acrylic tile primer before tiling. Someone suggested I use cement render instead, just in case there is dampness in the back (external) wall.
Don’t use cement render to fix tiles & never use tile primer unless the adhesive manufacturer says so & in high heat applications you have to use the correct adhesive & no grout. Why would there be dampness in the wall? If there is you must cure that first.

Or would it be best to fix some kind of sheet material instead? If so, what sort, ply perhaps? And how is that best prepared for tiling?
That’s the way to go but you need a silicate based board such as Supalux mechanically fixed, Gypsum board is no good, it will fail.

You can DIY a stove install but you need to understand the Building Regs...

Thanks for the info but this isn't a stove install. A Rayburn is a type of range cooker. If you do a google image search you'll see that it is common for them to be installed immediately adjacent to a kitchen unit, so the tempuratures are not high. Plus I'm not actually installing it myself just preparing the recess.

Thanks for the info but this isn't a stove install. A Rayburn is a type of range cooker.
OK my mistake; no need to Google search, I know what a range cooker is. I know Rayburn of old & they used to make stoves & you did say it was going in a chimney breast!

If you can guarantee the temperature will not exceed 40 degrees then there is nothing to stop you using plasterboard (perhaps double layer) & tiling directly onto that, no need to plaster. Prep & adhesive will depend on type & size of tiles your using.

I would advise you also check out Building Regs requirements for the range install.

Sponsored Links
OK my mistake; no need to Google search, I know what a range cooker is. I know Rayburn of old & they used to make stoves & you did say it was going in a chimney breast!

Oh I didn't know they did stoves. Should have been more specific!

If you can guarantee the temperature will not exceed 40 degrees then there is nothing to stop you using plasterboard (perhaps double layer) & tiling directly onto that, no need to plaster. Prep & adhesive will depend on type & size of tiles your using.

Ok, cool. I didn't think you could tile on to plasterboard. My wife chose the tiles from B&Q. They are 100x200mm ceramic.

I would advise you also check out Building Regs requirements for the range install.

The install and comissioning is being done by a Sheffield company, for quite a pretty penny I might add. The Building Notice or whatever it's called is dealt with by them.

Ok, cool. I didn't think you could tile on to plasterboard. My wife chose the tiles from B&Q. They are 100x200mm ceramic.
No problem with tiling directly onto plasterboard at all but use Moisture Resistant not standard wall board; personally I would opt for a cement tile backer board such as Aquapanel, it’s a far more robust option. You can use tub readymix for tiles that size but get something decent from a trade tile outlet, the cheap own brand & DIY products sold by the sheds are mostly crap.

The install and comissioning is being done by a Sheffield company, for quite a pretty penny I might add. The Building Notice or whatever it's called is dealt with by them.
I would strongly advise you check they actually do it or use self certifying tradesmen who can issue the necessary compliance certificates for any notifyable work (gas, electrics etc.). Many say they have & don’t bother but it’s ultimately your responsibility to comply with Building Regs. & have the necessary paperwork to prove it; apart from insurance ramifications a lack of paperwork can cause problems when you come to sell.

Don’t know if your planning to vent a cooker hood up the chimney but it doesn’t really work & may not be acceptable by LABC with regard to forced ventilation (if it’s needed). The problem is that most fans fitted to cooker hoods are marginal at best & simply not capable of shifting such a large vertical column of air. If you do any serious cooking, go for a twin fan unit.

No problem with tiling directly onto plasterboard at all but use Moisture Resistant not standard wall board; personally I would opt for a cement tile backer board such as Aquapanel, it’s a far more robust option. You can use tub readymix for tiles that size but get something decent from a trade tile outlet, the cheap own brand & DIY products sold by the sheds are mostly crap.

I'm researching tile backing boards. And for adhesive I'm going to try and source some BAL.

I would strongly advise you check they actually do it or use self certifying tradesmen who can issue the necessary compliance certificates for any notifyable work (gas, electrics etc.). Many say they have & don’t bother but it’s ultimately your responsibility to comply with Building Regs. & have the necessary paperwork to prove it; apart from insurance ramifications a lack of paperwork can cause problems when you come to sell.

You got me worried there! I checked the paperwork; it says:

Building Control Notification - Fees for mandatory notification of work [...] have been allowed for in the above price.

Don’t know if your planning to vent a cooker hood up the chimney but it doesn’t really work & may not be acceptable by LABC with regard to forced ventilation (if it’s needed). The problem is that most fans fitted to cooker hoods are marginal at best & simply not capable of shifting such a large vertical column of air. If you do any serious cooking, go for a twin fan unit.

I am planning to vent up the existing flue liner, which was attached to the old back-boiler that I've removed. I haven't looked at fans yet though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back