Tiling a shower enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A number of questions requiring some help:

1) I am about to embark on building an alcove for a new shower enclosure. I am not certain to build the side wall (other two walls are existing masonary) out of plasterboard or plywood.

I will then need to tile it.

I'm tempted to use ply then seal it with 3 coats of PVA. Am I able to stick the tiles on with no more nails or similar and then use a waterproof grout....Or is this not a good idea and i should use plasterboard and tile cement?.

2) Can anyone give me advice on tiling a shower tray and the best method for ensuring a waterproof seal before i start to tile it.

3) Some advice on applying sealant so I don't end up with an unsightly lumpy mess of a seal/line

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Cover the stud work with aquapanel. Then get a BAL tanking kit and treat all 3 walls.
2. Now fit the tray. If you made the wall properly the tray should be a good fit into the 3 walls. Silicone between the tray and the 3 walls so that the silicone level is just under the top of the tray. Stick the tiles up with the adhesive of your choice then grout with POWDERED grout. You then seal the tile/tray joint as in 3 below.
3. Details on applying silicone here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72231

I suggest you have a read through this //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77709
Good luck

gcol said:
1. Cover the stud work with aquapanel. Then get a BAL tanking kit and treat all 3 walls.
2. Now fit the tray. If you made the wall properly the tray should be a good fit into the 3 walls. Silicone between the tray and the 3 walls so that the silicone level is just under the top of the tray. Stick the tiles up with the adhesive of your choice then grout with POWDERED grout.
3. Details on applying silicone here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72231

I suggest you have a read through this //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77709
Good luck
At the risk of polluting gcol's otherwise perfect advice (as it invariably is), I mildly disagree on two points.

1. I don't like the masking tape method for applying silicone - my preference is fingers every time. However, tape works for many people, so the best thing you can do is practise the method somewhere else and go with whatever works best for you.

2. I never use grout at the joint of tiles to shower tray - always silicone, and always Dow Corning 785.

Softus, I'm confused - I do use the finger. I might have missed something somewhere, but where did I mention that you should grout between the tiles and the tray? This is not something I do.

Edit:
Oh I see where you're coming from now. The siliconing of the tray to the wall is just to seal that joint. You still need to apply silicone after you have tiled also as mentioned in point 3. Cheers.
p.s. I still use the finger. ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes, sorry, I've managed to make it more confusing rather than less. Sorry. :oops:

When I say I prefer fingers (no jokes please), I mean without masking tape. Having tried all manner of methods, and applicator tools and the like, I can't beat the finger method (oh go on then do your worst).

I wouldn't stoop so low. ;)
I advise using tape (electrical insulation tape by the way cause it sticks better) for novices - it allows you to put on as much silicone as you like. You then wipe your finger over it to remove the excess and give it the shape. When you remove the tape it will leave a flat edge that will hold water so you need to go over it again with a wet finger. You are only really smoothing down the raised edges the second pass. You shouldn't have too much silicone build up on your finger when you've finished. If the novice follows these instructions to the letter they will end up with a perfect seal. I do agree though that if you have the knack of applying silicone without tape, then it's much faster.

brilliant - thanks i'll give it a try. I bought Unibond adhesive - do you reckon this is any good or should i forget that and purchase BAL

cheers

You must use mould-resistant sanitary silicone sealant. There are other attributes of course, but that's the most important one.

I'm sure the BAL product is good, but personally I swear by Dow Corning 785.

F***ing ****!

See what I mean?

Softus are you tired this morning? You don't seem to be reading the posts too well. The guy is asking about the adhesive, not the silicone. Pull yourself together man! :LOL:
jmanjmanj said:
brilliant - thanks i'll give it a try. I bought Unibond adhesive - do you reckon this is any good or should i forget that and purchase BAL
cheers
Just my opinion but I don't like Unibond stuff. I've had some indifferent results with Cerafix and Dunlop adhesive not getting hold of the tile properly so if you're going to use pre-mixed adhesive then it'd be worth spending the extra and getting BAL.

gcol said:
Softus are you tired this morning? You don't seem to be reading the posts too well. The guy is asking about the adhesive, not the silicone. Pull yourself together man! :LOL:
Oh jeepers, what a mess! Sorry - I'll stop and go to work. :oops:

Just my opinion but I don't like Unibond stuff. I've had some indifferent results with Cerafix and Dunlop adhesive not getting hold of the tile properly so if you're going to use pre-mixed adhesive then it'd be worth spending the extra and getting BAL.
OK - I'll try one more...

I don't like Unibond stuff either. For pre-mixed adhesive I swear by Feb Wetmix.

<Softus swears again>

Just read gcol's advice on silicone application. Just one tip to add... try using a spray bottle (such as an old Mr Muscle container) and fill with diluted washing up liquid. Apply silicone and make sure that you force it into the joint (otherwise you'll find that some sealant might lift off). Then spray librally with the soap solution and tool off either with finger or finishing tool. It normally gives an excellent seal and a good finish.

Thanks all for teh silicone tips.

Final question on the tiling.

I have a 2 sq M floor area to tile (downstairs loo). I have screwed and glued 12mmmm ply. Now the question:

I have already purchased the Unibond tile on wood adhesive and grout. Your messages are saying that this is cr@p stuff. For the smallish area that i'm going to tile will it be okay to use this as both the adhesive and grout? or are you saying that I should bin it and use an alternative adhesive. Also you mention about using a powdered grout - again, for the small area that i am tiling do I need to worry about it :confused: :confused:

thanks
Nick

jmanjmanj said:
I have a 2 sq M floor area to tile (downstairs loo). I have screwed and glued 12mmmm ply.
Mmmm - that sounds gooood. :)

For the smallish area that i'm going to tile will it be okay to use this as both the adhesive...
As long as it's flexible adhesive, and not just adhesive for walls, then yes.

....and grout?
No! No no no no no!

Get purpose-made powder-based grout.

Also you mention about using a powdered grout - again, for the small area that i am tiling do I need to worry about it :confused:
Yes! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back