Tiling a window sill

Tiles have come off again after two years, and I have now regrouted. If there's nothing I can put over the tiles to completely insulate them from the water perhaps I'd better try the window box idea next time.

Remove the tiles and overboard with PVC window board. This will stop all the problems that you are having. Or you could try posting in the tilling forum as they may be better to answer your question!

Sponsored Links
Tiles have come off again after two years, and I have now regrouted. If there's nothing I can put over the tiles to completely insulate them from the water perhaps I'd better try the window box idea next time.

Remove the tiles and overboard with PVC window board. This will stop all the problems that you are having. Or you could try posting in the tilling forum as they may be better to answer your question!

Thanks I probably will just use PVC next time.

I did think further about the potted plants idea. I now have a plant on the sill (in a pot) and it does look good there. The only problem I foresee though is that it may not get enough light. The window is frosted and in the well of a block of flats with three storeys above me. The sun never shines on the window. Anyway I'll see how the current plant does and then revisit this.

As the guys said earlier and I have also done many times PVC glazing products are perfect for use in bathrooms, tiling on to a wood Cill is a major no no, and will always have this same result as the wood will expand and contract causing the grout to hairline crack and then water will enter and ex celebrate the problem. If you want to tile remove the wood using a chisel and splitting the wood and pulling out the shards, fix a baton to the front edge and then using this as a mould fill behind with bonding plaster. When you fit the tiles put a little more adhesive on the back edge making a very slight slope towards front edge. This is much easier than it sounds and will give you a perfect straight and stable Cill, ps use quality adhesive and grout, ball or similar not DIY store own brands

Alternatively glue the tiles down with silicone or CT1, then use the CT1 to fill the grout lines.

CT1 will cost more than silicone but you might find it easier to manipulate when filling the gaps.

Both will remain flexible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'm tempted to try doing it with CT1, but I think that tiles with sealant might look a bit odd.
So I'll probably try to put a PVC board in. I don't know if anyone has any current product suggestions? The space I need is 59*20cm with slight extensions on either side out in front of the frame. Cutting it to shape isn't going to be an easy task...

Edit: Here's how it looks currently. The tiles are in place but only just. White PVC might be a bit boring so if anyone has any suggestions for an alternative I'd be very grateful.

Last edited:
A number of the tiles have fallen off today. I think a visit to Homebase is in order tomorrow...

OK, I've removed the wooden sill. It was nailed down onto a plaster base which inevitably I have now damaged.

I have some Knauf Aquapanel board 12.5mm thick which I think I will cut to size and place where the wood was, and then tile over this. I'll probably do this flush, i.e. no overhang as with the wood sill.

I suppose I could get someone in to do this, but it's probably a hassle with Covid, and doing it myself, one step at a time, gives me more opportunity to think about it as I go.

Any advice gratefully received.

Done. Had to build the cill up quite high so that I could fit four mosaic tiles on the front, but I think it looks good. Let's see how it lasts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back