Tiling an uneven floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to tile my kitchen floor it is mostly new wooden floorboards which I will screw down but the end of the room is concrete floor, it is almost level with the wooden flooring, probably only a few mm out.

Can I use a thick plywood on top of both of these materials and just tile straight onto that or do I need to get the floor dead level?

If yes what is the best thing to use to stick the plywood to the concreate?

Any advice would be great, thank-you.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to lay ply on top & its only a few mm out, I cant see how you will have prob, ensure the ply is fixed properly.

Read the other posts on here about tiling on wood. you'll also need to be careful at the join as both floors will move at different rates and your likely to get a crack forming.

Depending on the area involved and IF the wooden floor is solid (two fat blokes jumping and no bounce) then you can use a backer board first and go straight over the lot.

P.s. two fat blokes can normally be hired from any pub.

use an exspansion joint between the timber and concrete,you can buy these or use a silicone the same colour as your grout.

Sponsored Links
Read the other posts on here about tiling on wood. you'll also need to be careful at the join as both floors will move at different rates and your likely to get a crack forming.

Depending on the area involved and IF the wooden floor is solid (two fat blokes jumping and no bounce) then you can use a backer board first and go straight over the lot.

P.s. two fat blokes can normally be hired from any pub.

Cool, I've heard about backer board but never used it, so are you saying backerboard the lot? If so how do I stick it to concrete? Thanks

P.S. there is a pub down the road....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back