Tiling and radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to retile our kitchen, however since doing the old tiling we have had central heating installed. How can I get round the problem of having to tile behind a radiator, do I have to get the radiator taken off then tile and put it back on? It is too close to the wall to be able to tile behind it and tiling around it will look horrible!

If it has to come off do I have to get a 'professional' in or can I get around it somehow to do it myself?

Me and DIY don't get on, sadly I have an old knackered Victorian house and no money, so I am going to need all the advice I can get!

Sponsored Links
You need to close the valve at either end of the radiator. Then undo the nuts that fasten the valves to the radiator. You need a washing up bowl to catch the water in when you undo the nuts. When the water has gone, lift the radiator off the supports. Refitting is the reverse but you need to bleed the radiator when you've connected and opened the valves.
Make sure, when you take the radiator off the supports, that you have someone else helping you cause there'll still be some dirty water inside that'll spill out unless you block the holes with rags.

Thank you, glad I don't have to switch the whole system off, I can just shut off the radiator and remove it!

Once I've done that then I get to tackle the 2-layer thick tiles that are welded to the wall before I tile the new ones on!

Nice way to spend a weekend! :D

Sponsored Links
btw if your rad is full of black sludge ,

if the water is very black then its best to flush the heating system really ... through a downstairs rad /hose outside .. then adding fernox/sentinel C/H inhibitor in ...:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back