tiling and sealing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

soon to be tiling our bathroom in a large quanity of fired earth's retro metro crackle glazed tiles -

http://www.firedearthshop.com/epage...s/Kilns_of_the_World/Retro_Metro&PageSize=200

fired earth recommend that these tiles have a couple of coats of MN StainStop prior to cutting and grouting.

As this will be a pain in the backside to do these individually I was thinking I could tile all the wall, sealing just the ones i need to cut as i go and then when they are all affixed to the wall applying the coats of sealer then as it would be a lot easier.

do you guys think this should work okay and not cause any problems?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Lay them on a bit of ply or something similar and seal them like that before fixing,if the manufaturer advises sealing before fixing as you mentioned then I would not go against their instructions ;)

as far as i can make out the manufaturer recommends sealing before cutting and grouting, nothing is mentioned about fixing... thats why i wondered about doing it like this as they are smallish tiles and potentially a nightmare job

Sponsored Links
if i ever use a tile that needs sealing for whatever reason, i seal the lot, no half measures, better safe than sorry, its a pain in the ass (ask my kind bro who was asking for a days work before just as i was about to do 50 sm of slate, funnily enough hes not asked again!) but well worth it in the long run

i'm intending to seal them all - just once they're on the wall before i grout... and just seal the ones that need cutting before they go on the wall

i'm intending to seal them all - just once they're on the wall before i grout... and just seal the ones that need cutting before they go on the wall

if you were going to do that anyway why ask for advice?

I think jefoss means you seem to have already made a decision on how you were going to do it even though advised otherwise.

fired earth recommend that these tiles have a couple of coats of MN StainStop prior to cutting and grouting

If this is what the manufacturer advises then best to listen.

as far as i can make out the manufaturer recommends sealing before cutting and grouting, nothing is mentioned about fixing...

Tiles are cut before fixing to the wall hence why I advised sealing them all on a sheet of ply or similar,if you use a gloss roller then it will take no time at all ;)

sorry i didnt mean to come across like it had already been decided.

was just digging down into detail that i could put all the whole tiles on the wall, seal the ones to be cut, put them on the wall, the seal the whole lot and then grout.

I just have a heck of a lot of tiles!

get them sealed !!!

i have just done a floor and sealed prior to laying. i then grouted and this just makes the stone so messy, i wonder what would happen if i hadn't sealed before hand. then i sealed again the next day after grout had dried.

i was a b@gger cleaning off the grout while i was grouting - grout an area, then come back and clean off the excess etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back