Tiling around a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just wanted to see if people had any opinions about tiling around a window in a long thin bathroom where the window in not in the centre of one of the thinner walls. Do you either centre the tiles ignoring the window or have a balanced design around the window so that you have equal sized tiles around it and therefore unequal sized tiles at the edges of the wall?. Additionally should the facing thinner wall match the tile positions of the window wall exactly or can I just centre them as normal?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
It must look right, I would assume the window to be a focal point, so that must have the tiles centred, thats the starting point. Hope that helps, (Im not a tiler, but have put many up).

im no pro but about to start a big bathroom tiling job, thread on that in a min...but i would say the tiles around the window should take priority for defo

Mike

Thanks both. The window aperture appears to be 3 tiles wide so I will use that as my basis for marking out, its a pity the window is not exactly level as its an older house but the biggest issue I have encountered is that I foolishly used spacers that were too small for the tiles that I have as being marble they are not exactly the same size! Never mind I am billing it as a rustic look. Good luck Mike with your bathroom project.

Mark

Sponsored Links
window to be a focal point

as a Pro tiler , Of Course ...you set this areas as start points to the planning stage ,
as they MUST ...
I say again ....they MUST look right when the jobs done .....

Are you saying the tiles around the window must go up first and then work outwards to each end of the wall?

Try & lay or mark the tiles out, step back take a look. My window is not centred, but it is within a few cm, this made the corner look ok. Its worth spending 30 minutes marking out, stick them up with tape, than spending years saying 'whish I had started over there'. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back