Tiling door step.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At some point the small porch area at the front of my house has been tiled, only problem is they have been fitted wrongly so that water drains towards the front door, which has resulted in damp joists and walls, as the water has nowhere to go it just pools against the house.

Really I am after some advice on:

A- How would I level of this surface prior to retiling so the water drains in the right direction

B. What kind of tile adhesive would I use?

I've only ever done internal wall tiling so am a bit green when it comes to flooring adhesives.

Sponsored Links
At some point the small porch area at the front of my house has been tiled, only problem is they have been fitted wrongly so that water drains towards the front door, which has resulted in damp joists and walls, as the water has nowhere to go it just pools against the house.

Really I am after some advice on:

A- How would I level of this surface prior to retiling so the water drains in the right direction

how steep is the incline toward your door?

B. What kind of tile adhesive would I use?

depends on the step underneath and the prep work

I've only ever done internal wall tiling so am a bit green when it comes to flooring adhesives.

its not difficult when you have all the facts in front of you

Not a huge amount, probably between 5 and 10 degrees incline towards the front door, is tiling on top of the existing tiles an option, physically they are in excellent condition, underneath its concrete.

Sponsored Links
Not a huge amount, probably between 5 and 10 degrees incline towards the front door, is tiling on top of the existing tiles an option, physically they are in excellent condition, underneath its concrete.

i would never actually condone the tile on tile to be honest, but others round here would do.

if its that small an incline you can tile over your ready made surface (wether you choose to keep existing or remove the tiles) and use the adhesive to make the step incline the other way, as its only a small area wont be difficult.

the adhesive you would need to use is one mainly for porcelain tiles, (non porous) dont bother with any ready mix at all. ever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back