Tiling in a Victorian house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are getting our kitchen diner redone in our Victoria terrace house. I've had two builders come and quote. I asked for a tiled floor and the first one was happy to do it. The second said I should steer clear of tiling on old Victorian floorboards due to movement over time which will make them crack and suggested lino or vinyl sheets.

Is this right or can we get some basic prep done on the subfloor to allow for tiles?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It can be done, and is done, over floor boards in Victorian houses.

What joist spans are we talking about - and what section are the joists?

Has anyone mentioned deflection?

Are there any wonky structural issues with the house? Any movement whatsoever in the floor in question?

Which room/area is it?

Thanks. The more I hear and read, the more I think it will be fine. There is no reason for us to believe we've got excessive movement so I am willing to risk it. There is laminate laid over plywood at the moment which has been there a number of years and it looks as good as new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back