Tiling inside corner with a wonky wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was just wondering if anyone might be able to help me with this. Basically I've tiled my first wall and I'm one row of tiles away from an inside corner.

I know that I'm meant to leave a small gap between the two walls, but this is where my problem starts. The wall at 90 degrees to the wall that I'm tiling goes in and out at different points, to make matters worse it kind of slopes slightly too where it meets other wall.

So the question is: should I cut my tiles on the wall that I'm tiling so that they are straight on the tile (i.e. the gap between the wall and the tiles will go in and out) OR should I cut the tiles with a slight angle so that the gap into the wall is always the same?

My tiles are around 30cm tall if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
the simple answer would have been to have checked before hand so that you could have it squared up, but seeing as you havent just cut your tiles to follow the wall

Thanks for your reply!

Just to clarify though, the wall at 90 degrees goes in and out because of the plasterwork, not because my entire row of tiles are on a horizontal tilt (I used a baton to tile off of which I put in place using a level).

With the various parts of the wall that bowled while I was tiling I just packed up more adhesive so that the tiles didn't go in and out with regards to the ones next to them.

Am I missing something with regards to the wall at 90 degrees then? When you say I could have squared it up I don't see how I could have done anything to make the plasterwork correct at the corner short of piling on masses of adhesive to make the whole of the 90 degree wall flat again. Can you explain the "squaring it up" thing if possible, it might help for the other walls if not the current wall I'm on :).

Thanks for your reply!

Just to clarify though, the wall at 90 degrees goes in and out because of the plasterwork, not because my entire row of tiles are on a horizontal tilt (I used a baton to tile off of which I put in place using a level).

With the various parts of the wall that bowled while I was tiling I just packed up more adhesive so that the tiles didn't go in and out with regards to the ones next to them.

Am I missing something with regards to the wall at 90 degrees then? When you say I could have squared it up I don't see how I could have done anything to make the plasterwork correct at the corner short of piling on masses of adhesive to make the whole of the 90 degree wall flat again. Can you explain the "squaring it up" thing if possible, it might help for the other walls if not the current wall I'm on :).

Can you upload some pictures?

Sponsored Links
Just took some quick pictures since I know that "sloping" and "bowling" and "wonky" are all fantastic descriptions ;).

These should show what I mean. I'm on the last row of tiles of my first wall (the left end).

Really appreciate any advice on this since it's better to learn the right practice than shoehorn in something else! :)

Edit: Heh, was just uploading as you posted that :)

wallprogress.jpg

tilegap.jpg

wallslope.jpg

cant really see from your pics BUT if i am correct in my way of thinking

You have finished at the corner with a full tile Yes?

If so, on the next wall see if a full width tile at the bottom finishes with a full width tile at the top and still level, if NOT you will have to work from the tightest tile in the corner and mark a straight line, then have to trim some of your other tiles to match up to the line (obviously cut edges are into the corner)

OR do you mean the wall is not FLAT, it is lumpy and bumpy ( low spots and high spots) if so find the high spots and take some of the plaster off.

What i meant before was to check the walls for flatness before tiling in case they needed skimmed. hope you can follow my gobbledygook, not very good at explaining in words, sorry

Thanks again! I think I'm following... Sorry the pictures aren't entirely clear looking back at them. Edit: Also just noticed that the first picture could be seen as a flat wall, that tile is actually in the corner against the second wall as you guessed (I think)!.

Indeed I have finished the wall with exactly 1 tile width on the first wall (although I have to trim a tiny bit off so that it isn't butting up against the second wall).

Your explanation about the tightest tile on the corner is what I'm looking for I think since at some points on the wall when I place two tiles together at right angles I can see the gap going bigger and smaller.

The walls are slightly lumpy bumpy but I've just filled any ditches with a bit more adhesive, my third picture was a shot of the skirting board with the second wall on the left... near to the corner the wall kind of bends so that there is less than 0.5cm of skirting showing, but just down from that there is around 1 - 1.5cm of skirting showing... I was going to try and reduce the curve with a bit more adhesive but I guess the tile would then be sloping inward, I'll see if I can maybe sand off a bit of plaster to make things less drastic here.

At any rate I think the first part of your solution solves the bulk of my problem :).

Thank you!

So I've hit another snag...

The wall at 90degrees is just one massive bowl shape. At first I thought the corner of the wall sloped in and then smoothed out to a flat wall in the middle but after putting my wooden batten across the wall from end to end there is a gap between 1.5cm and 2cm from the wall I think... so it seems that this wall actually does need levelled.

JC had mentioned adding a plaster skim to the wall, I've also read that some people just put up plasterboard but this isn't an option for me I don't think as it would make the tiles jut out from the wall (I cant take the PB to the ceiling because they are about 3m high).

So I'm thinking of skimming the section of wall quickly and using my batten to make sure it is flat, it might not be the best job in the world but it's being covered by tiles right! ;).

So my question is: How should I skim the wall, should I key the old plaster with a Stanley knife and then use something like Bonding Plaster for extra adhesion instead of adding another skim of finishing plaster? My fear is the weight of the tiles will pull a skim of finishing plaster off the wall if it is poorly keyed.

Thanks again!

i am not a plaasterer mate but i think what you suggest is pretty spot on, key coat the original plaster, build out with bonding then give a skim coat then WAIT at LEAST a fortnight before starting your tiling again and DO NOT use PVA on the wall ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back