Corner gap - fill with adhesive, grout or sealant?

efj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiling the bathroom - just around the bath, so one complete wall and two short runs the width of the bath.

Back wall done (on a tea break) and was supposed to be tiles right into each corner and then the short runs would be tiled ontop of the back wall tiles.

Unfortunately, due to wonkey wall and my mistake in planning, at one corner the all last tiles are abit of a gap from the wall. Varies from 5 to 10mm.

So, in some places where the gap is big enough I can put the side wall tile into the gap. :confused:

For the others I guess I can tile upto the face of the back wall tile to still have a relatively straight corner to grout. But this will leave quite a big gap behind the tiles in at the corner - what's best to fill this - adhesive ( as I tile the corner), grout (when I grout the faces) or sealant (before I tile the corner?) ?

Rough diagram below.... parallel lines are tiles... dots are the walls. X is the gap! Typically, this end of the bath is where the shower is going to be .

. . . . . . . . .
======x.
|| BATH ||.
|| BATH ||.
|| BATH ||.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've made a bit of pig's ear of it. ;)
If you're not going to pull the tiles off and do it properly, then you better just silicone the gap up. Wait until you've grouted but don't grout the gap.
Mask the area off with electrical insulation tape, apply your silicone and then smooth it out with your finger (careful of the sharp edges). Remove the tape and then smooth out again with your finger.

gcol, thanks for advice...just want to clarify... once I put the short run of tiles up the gap between the faces of the corner tiles would be a normal spacer and thus, I thought, groutable...

I was looking to fill the space behind the tiles at the corner - which won't show... and won't be able to use tape etc (in the diagram above the right hand tiles would actually run up to the tiles at the top - does that make sense?)

Or would you always silicon an internal corner?

:LOL: To be honest cockle, I've never had so much trouble understanding what a poster is on about as I've had with you.
You would normally silicone internal tiled corner in a shower area, yes.
If you meant anything else by this, please explain what you meant to someone you know and get them to type it for you. :LOL: :LOL:
No offence but your post confused me and made me laugh at the same time! ;)

Sponsored Links
Gcol,

No prob re the confusing post, you should hear me on the phone!

Right I've drawn a picture looking at at the corner from above for one row of tiles - I've no idea how to embed it so.... here is the link

http://picasaweb.google.com/elliottfjones (click on the image a couple of times and it'll larger and clearer)

My problem is that:
1) Tile 1 was supposed finish alot closer to the right hand wall. Thus all the tiles on the right hand wall would be tiled on top of those on the back wall.
2) In places gap 3 is 5 - 10 mm. so big enough to put tile 2 in behind it, in others it isn't - as in the drawing

So I should:
1) Grout all the tiles (including the gap between the bath and the bottom row of tiles) but not this corner
2) When I'm doing the silicone seal for the bath also fill gap 3 with sealant and top it off with a surface bead to seal as it's the corner where the shower is.

I've got some Dow Corning so at least that's one thing right.

Ah I understood you correctly then. Grout the walls but do not grout the joint between the tile an the bath. Also, do not grout the internal corners. Filll these areas with silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back