Tiling Kitchen floor, Door is too low

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone had any ideas to a problem that im facing.

I want to tile my kitchen floor. My issue is that the PVC outside door in the kitchen is flush with the floor, and if I tile near the door it will not open/close. How can I raise the PVC door??? Do I need to start hacking off the top side of the wall ontop of the top frame and lift it???
Has anyone got any ideas as to an easier fix???
I have tried to adjust the door upwards but it is not enough.

Any help most appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
You can’t just start hacking off bits of wall off from above the door; there is almost certainly a supporting concrete or steel lintel up there. What is the current floor construction, concrete or suspended timber? Why is the existing floor so high; does it already have tile on? has it been over boarded at some time? Is it the existing door frame that is too low? & why?

You can’t just start hacking off bits of wall off from above the door; there is almost certainly a supporting concrete or steel lintel up there. What is the current floor construction, concrete or suspended timber? Why is the existing floor so high; does it already have tile on? has it been over boarded at some time? Is it the existing door frame that is too low? & why?

Hi,
The floor is of concrete and is not tiled. Yes It looks like the existing door frame is too low....i'm not sure why this is?

Is it a conventional UPVC door with integral frame or a composite door someone has lashed into an existing frame? Is the door frame also UPVC? If so does it run along the bottom of the door? You may be able to remove the complete door frame, trim the top & re-fix giving you clearance at the bottom but whether or not you can trim enough off rather depends on the frame construction.

A photo or two would help.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou for the advice...

I'll have a look at wether I can trim some of the PVC frame at the top which might give me enough clearance......

Thanx for the Idea :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back