Tiling on 25mm Plywood - Prep + adh ?? for Granite tiles

JCT - Thanks very much, what a thorough and incredibly fast reply to both queries. With that support it can only go well - I hope. The thinner spacers sound best.

I will report back on progress.

Thanks again. BTW - Sprout is the 3-legged cat, otherwise known as Tripod !! Dodgy heart, bit missing from his ear and a leg gone, but otherwise healthy, climbs trees and keeps the dog in line.
Thanks for everything.

More than welcome

Sponsored Links
And finally how long before it can take regular foot traffic?
Thanks again. I will post a photo of the finished job.

Hi JCTiling,
I have laid the granite tiles and they look great. I used 2mm spacers which are just right because the small bevels on the tiles make the gap look larger, so best to start with a slim spacer.

Not so Rapidset - I had a small problem with the first mix of Rapidset being a little too thin, not quite stiff enough but didn't realise that until the first tiles were down. But I just left those a little longer and avoided touching them for fear of them 'sinking' and the addy puddling up into the joints. But they just took an hour longer before it all hardened up and then I carried on with a stiffer mix. They still have a full bed behind them and hopefully there will be no problems.

Different Tiles - One irritating thing which probably only I would notice unless it was pointed out to others, is that one tile has a different sheen to it., but only from one direction and when looking for it - but I know it's there !! These are Wickes tiles, polished black 'sparkly' granite. All the packs of tiles were bought at the same time and don't appear to have a batch number, but the odd one is from the last box, and I only noticed after it was laid. It definitely has a duller shine / sheen without the sparkly bits! As I haven't grouted yet and will need to seal the tiles, is there something that I could / should do when cleaning and sealing to minimise this effect. I am probably being too picky and that the overall effect with black glass wall mosaic behind the basin will be quite stunning set against everything else being white.

The process I have in mind now is as follows:-
- Wet sponge clean all tiles, let it dry.
- Polish with dry lint free cloth
- Put on first layer of sealer with cloth - must I be careful to not get sealer in the tile space gaps and affecting adhesion of the grout?
- Grout and clean it up
- Put 2nd coat of sealer on floor tiles
- Should I also seal the wall mosaic tile and grout around the basin? Or is sealer just for the floor tiles?

Your comments please ...........!
Thanks again for all your help.

Sponsored Links
You will find with the differant colouration with the tiles are....

When you buy from the sheds the tiles are always topped up instore when the pallet ect is going down,so differant batches of tiles.

Next time..if you have one lol...when buying your tiles from one off the sheds...

Open up at least 3 boxes at a time and when fixing the tiles,take tiles from the differant boxes and fix to the wall or floor,doing this will break up any tile discolouration...it won't be so noticeable...

Your process sounds good also so go for it...

Only thing haven't read all the thread,so don't know what type mosaic you have..?

Tictic thanks,
I will press on with grouting & sealer.

Rapidset too thin? - Ref my comment on the first Rapidset mix being a little thin........., will that have had any detrimental effect long term, apart from taking a little longer to go off?
I wrote .........
"I had a small problem with the first mix of Rapidset being a little too thin, not quite stiff enough but didn't realise that until the first tiles were down. But I just left those a little longer and avoided touching them for fear of them 'sinking' and the addy puddling up into the joints. But they just took an hour longer before it all hardened up and then I carried on with a stiffer mix. They still have a full bed behind them and hopefully there will be no problems."

Tile Skirting - I have run a 75mm high vertical return in the granite tiles topped with a black trim as a skirting. It looks good and aligns with the horizontal tiles. I used a 2mm spacer gap between floor and uprights.

Silicon or grout? - Should I now fill that gap with the flexi grout at the same time as doing all grouting? Or should i use a black silicon? Only thing is maybe silicon will get mucky with time? However, it is very flexible and can look neat if done with masking tape.
But which is the normal convention for that, and which works best?

Many thanks
Sproutsdad

hello sprouts dad,
Glad you go it done mate, if that odd tile really bothers you and you have spare tiles, why not change it.

Don't worry about the sealer going down into the joints.
the first batch of rapid set will do no harm whatsoever
use silicon between floor and tiled skirting, not grout.

Hi JCT, Good to see you back.
Thanks, I had favoured silicon anyway, black I think looks best against black tiles.

I may swap out the odd tile, but I have looked through the others and all the ones I have left seem the same from the same box. I wasn't wise to this so didn't look out for it and didn't think that tiles might be like wallpaper - batches and differences! But, although it is just inside the door, it is to the left and up in a corner. And, it doesn't show from the forward view, it is only visible when in this tiny cloakroom and looking backwards and from a low angle. And, most people have to be shown it, and then some still can't see it - but I know it's there. But I will also forget it eventually. What I might do is check at Wickes with an offcut against their current stock, you can buy tiles separately there as samples taken from their boxed stock.

I will also make sure, as these things often do, that this doesn't get out of hand and out of perspective, does it really matter? And, I could also do other damage taking that one out. I could go to all that trouble and it may be no improvement and, ........ then end up putting a waste bin on top of it anyway.

Thanks for all your welcome feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back