boxing in bath - does ply need priming?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start tiling our bathroom and hope someone can help with the following .

We've boxed in our bath (not going to be used as a shower bath), using a 50mm timber frame with sheets of 12mm WBP ply on top.

Before tiling should we prime the ply?

We are using BAL grip (improved formulation) adhesive and we have BAL primer which we are going to put on the newly skimmed plasterboarded walls. Should I use the primer on the ply?

Also, probably a daft question in the shower area we have aquapanel - I take it that doesn't need priming?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
i would use a bagged flexible adhesive on the ply.prime the ply and you may as well prime the aquapanel while you are at it

From Bal's product data sheet for Grip:
PLYWOOD/CHIPBOARD/FIBRE-REINFORCED CEMENT SHEETS:
Sheets/boards must be dry, securely fixed and rigid. e.g. screwed to
a seasoned timber framework at 300mm centres vertically and
horizontally. Moisture resistant or exterior grade boards should be
used. Seal the reverse side and edges with BAL-BOND SBR to
prevent distortion from atmospheric changes. Do not seal or prime
surfaces to be tiled.

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/bal/bal_products/grip.asp

Aquapanel doesn't need priming.

Sponsored Links
gcol, thanks for the advice but it must have gone in one ear and out the other.

I was priming the bathroom today with some BAL primer and thought I remembered that the advice was to prime the ply that was to be tiled around the bath.

I gave it a couple of coats this morning ready to tile tomorrow. But it look slike the top layer of ply has been impacted. There are about 4 separate lines (about 15cm long) where it looks like the top layer of ply has raised slightly (about 1mm. The ply was 12mm WBP.

Is this still ok to tile on or am i best to rip out the ply and start afresh?

Have you fixed the ply using glue and screws?If you have just used screws couldn't you reverse the ply primed side inwards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back