tiling on to rough plaster/paint/damp walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed the tiles from a bathroom . the surface of the walls are rough to say the least . partly plaster, some patchy textured paint, and one of the walls is damp.
I've scraped the worst of the flakey paint ,and old tile adhesive off. I would like to coat the walls with something that will help the tiles stick (the old tiles came off a bit too easy)
If I was plastering the walls I would coat them with an SBR, sand, cement, slurry mix. and this would also help the damp problem.
Is this method suitable for tiling? or is there a better/cheaper method for tiling?

Thanks. any help appreciated . iaith

Sponsored Links
if the wall is not going to get absolutly soaked i would look at dot and dbbing with new plasterboard , but first tank the damp wall ,atleast you will have a good wall to tile on thats how i did mine and had no p robs for 5 years ,, hope this helps im sure someone else will add to this,,,...

iaith said:
one of the walls is damp.
You'll need to find out what is causing the damp otherwise the damp will never dried out, is it an outside wall, if so, investigate outside, leaking gutter, main pipe etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. for your help. The truth is it's a very shoddy lean-to , rented accommodation, and it's clear the landlord didn't want to spend much money on it. I would like to buy tanking but I've been unable to source it. I ended up using SBR, sand ,cement mix . it looks pretty good now, but I guess only time will tell if it stays good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back