Tiling on to Thistle Hardwall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me out here as I've read a lot of conflicting information on this subject! :)

A couple of months ago I stripped off the tiles in our bathroom. As the tiles came down they pulled off a lot of the backing plaster and revealed the bricks/thermal blocks underneath. As the bathroom was tiled from floor to ceiling on all four sides this left a bit of an ugly, bumpy mess. To patch things up I PVA'd the wall and slapped on a layer of hardwall. Now, after sorting out the plumbing I've got to the stage where I'd like to put up the new tiles. The tiles are quite chunky, 30cm x 60cm x 0.9cm.

However, I've been told that you're not meant to tile directly on to hardwall, so I'm currently considering three options:

1. Coat the hardwall with a layer of BAL SBR primer bond, then tile over this. Would this work?

2. Stick some aquapanel on top of the hardwall, then tile over this instead of directly tiling over the wall. I'd love to do this, but the problem is the bathroom is tiny, I only got the bath in after chasing out a 2cm strip to get it in the wall. If i have to board it too, then I'll have to board around the bath, which just sounds like a bit of a mess.

3. Skim the wall with finishing plaster. This might give me the same issues as above - I'd need to put on a thick coat so that the weight of the chunky tiles doesn't just pull the finishing plaster off after it's dried.

I'd really like to go with option 1 to be honest, but I wanted to see what you guys thought of the above three options. Question is, are they all viable? or am I asking for trouble?

Maybe I'm missing another, much more sensible option, it's very possible! Anyway, let me know what you think! Any advice would be massively appreciated! :)

Many thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links
[EDIT] minor update - I'm now planning on scraping most of the hardwall off, reluctantly, and covering with dot/dab cement board.

Cheers,

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back