Tiling on top of PIR Insulation and Underfloor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

Hoping to lay a concrete slab this weekend for my kitchen

Just need a bit of advice before i set all my levels up.

On top of the slab, I want to place insulation, underfloor heating, plywood and then tile on top of the ply.

Insulation is going to be 100mm PIR boards Celotex/Kingspan
Underfloor heating is, 16mm Polypipe 'Overlay', which is an insulated panel with the pipes laid in the insulation
Ply is added at 6mm thick on top of the UFH
Tiles to be on top of the ply, i have assumed a depth of 25mm for the tile and adhesive, is this realistic? I understand that this is dependant on the tile thickness, but not chosen my tiles yet.

Looking on the Polypipe website http://www.polypipe.com/polypipe/site/overlay-home it states that

"Tiles can be laid directly on to the Overlay™ panels or a 6mm plywood lining can be fitted prior to tiling. When tiling directly over Overlay™ panels, use a sealant with flexible adhesive and grout"

So I will be getting my tiler to use a flexible adhesive but i am a wondering if it is acceptable to have the tiles situated on top of two layers of effectively floating polystyrene boards. Or do i have have to make sure that the cutting of the boards is cock on, so that no float on the polystyrene is present?

Or am i completely wrong with my insulation on top of my slab, i just don't see the point of using my UFH to heat up my slab.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back