tiling on underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anybody have any experience in tiling over underfloor heating screed, do i stick tiles straight onto screed or do i lay a membrane down first.

Sponsored Links
the screed will need to cure/dry,then you will turn up the heating gradually in accordance with the mfr instructions.
so you dont thermal shock the screed(crack it)..etc.

then you will TURN OFF the heating before you fix tiles to screed(no heat tranfer at all)

mapie..you could go for keraflex maxi
bal..singlepart flex
weber..rapidset partflex.

if its just a new screed then you can use bal...green screed..

you *can* stick straight to the screed but for a large slab, you'd need to have expansion joints in the same places as the screed has them. some kind of ditra type decoupling membrane would be better in that case.

This is expensive to do the complete area (40 sqm) could i do a strip just where the screed expansion joint is?

Sponsored Links
you will need exspansion joints defo in an area that size.

you should have exspasion joints already in the slab, at any door thresholds an then in the slab every 8m2. and you will "need to" transfer these thro on up thro the tiling.

so your setting out will need to be good.

Yes i have got expansion joints in all places where you have stated, but these finish flush with screed and don't carry on up. So do i assume correctly that i need to buy these type of joints to fit directly above these joints in the screed, and if so where can i buy them from considering this is a diy/domestic job - can i get different colours to match surrounding grout.
Thanks

yes, you buy these and put them above all the screed joints.

if it's a diy job you want to do this as cheaply as possible, you can use coloured (to match the grout) silicone in the gaps over the screed joints instead of off the shelf profiles like that, but the joints between your tiles shouldn't really be less than be 3-4mm so you'd have to be pretty careful with silicone to do a neat job or it'll look nasty...but it can be done. it also depends on where the joints are...are they mostly going to be covered in bits of furniture or rugs or be in areas you won't really see that often?? since it's your house and you know where everything is going to go you may decide that's an acceptable solution.

[edit] i don't know where you'd buy these things from in the uk, tiling shops are going to be your best bet, i doubt places like wickes/b&q would sell them.

Not sure how to link websites to posts, but are these the sort of things?http://www.trimtraders.co.uk/store/Expansion_and_Movement_Joints.html
The main joint does go straight across the centre of the room. I am planning on using large form rustic tiles, would these have a wide grouting joint?
Thanks

they're the babies, and your grout joints should be 4-5mm. 3mm or lower is pushing your luck imo.

use a flexible adhesive and a flexible grout. tell the tile shop it's for UFH and they'll sort you out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back