Tiling onto OSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to you all,

can anyone tell me if its possible to tile on to osb board, I was thinking of using pva aswell to get a good bond. Help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hello to you all,

can anyone tell me if its possible to tile on to osb board, I was thinking of using pva aswell to get a good bond. Help much appreciated.

osb is waxed so definatly no it lacks structural strength
what is below the area you want to fit the board ??

Hello Big-all,

The board I have has a lux finish (I think this is just sanded one side) this is 15mm thick and under that is 25mm of softwood planked flooring. The osb is secured with screws 75mm at every 20 cm and the osb has been sealed with a water based sealer (like whats used on mdf to seal the edges).

Don’t tile onto OSB, WBP ply only. Never use standard PVA on any tile base, its water soluble & if water/moisture gets to it, it’ll reactivate & your tiles will fail. If you need to prime, use an acrylic tile primer only but in most cases when using powder cement based adhesive (which you must use on floors) it’s not recommended & could affect tile adhesion.

I would advise you read the Tiling Forum sticky & archive posts before you go any further, it may prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Richard, will do, I might look at putting laminate flooring down, don't fancy putting yet another subfloor down, might hit my head on the ceiling. Would laminate be ok in the bathroom?

Laminate should be OK as long as it’s suitable for bathrooms. Don’t use solid wood & although engineered wood would fair better, I would not advise any sort of wood floor in a bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back