Tiling onto Plywood/Chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster...

I'm working on a bathroom project ATM, where were looking at doing the following;

Ceramic tiles onto a 18mm clipboard floor

Ceramic tiles onto a 6mm plywood bath panel (the plastic one for the bath looked pants, so we have curved a piece of WPB exterior 6mm plywood around the bath and fixed into place on 6" separated batons.

Question i have now is what type of adhesive is best to use and are their any special things i should be thinking about in terms of preparing the wood before tiling (e.g. tanking, primer, rain dance...)...

Thanks in advance for any helpful advise :)

Sponsored Links
Is all wall work(plastering, tiling etc) now complete?

What size c/board panels/sheets are you using?

Is the floor level and free from any sway or bounce?

Has all pipework been tested, and is it free from any squeaks or noise?

How well is the board screwed down?

All fixtures should have been removed.

Your FFL is now going to be higher than before.

Your bath panel arrangement goes on top of the tiled floor.

6mm ply is bad news for tile. Can you laminate/screw another 6mm on top of the first piece, to give 12mm?

How are you going to fix the panel so that it can be removed when necessary?

Is there an end panel?

More questions than answers in that post lol...

all walls are plastered and have been dried for some time now... no other tiling has been done...

floor is level (as much as any floor can be)... no bounce etc, the area under the shower cubical is 18mm ply, the rest of the floor is 18mm moisture resistant chipboard.

all pipework is in for the bath and associated waste

fixtures removed, not sure what you mean, the bath has to be there i assume to tile around it :)

I am planning to leave a gap at the bottom of the panel so tiles can be laid onto the floor and the panel sits down onto it.

6mm ply is about the only thing i could find which would work, the bath is curved (http://www.sobathrooms.com/baths-145/standard-148/traditional-contemporary-compact-1700-space-saver-41141-18710_zoom.jpg) so needed something that was thin enough to bend around the curve, but strong enough, ply seemed the best option.

The plan is to fix the bath panel with no plans to ever remove it (if needed, the old technique of 'hit it with a hammer' will be employed). Additionally, isolator valves have been fitted outside the bath area which will be accessible in the event of a leak.

an end panel will be needed, was planning to use either same 6mm ply, or some left over 18mm ply if i had enough left.

Tiling onto chipboard is a definite no no. You need tile backer board at minimum.

Sponsored Links
Most answers are implied in the above questions:

Finish all wall work: tile, ext, rad, WC wall outlet etc. and painted ceiling, before floor tile work.

I've tiled on to chipboard and ply many times before backer board was available. Not the best solution but its doable.

Fixed bath panel: what if the waste or tap tails leak not long after finishing the bathroom? Presumably a non-jacuzzi type tub.

Fixtures: ped basin and WC and perhaps a vanity?

18mm ply for the end panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back