Tiling on damaged plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am tiling a bathroom floor for the first time using 60x30 travertine. I have lifted the previous floor tiles and am left with 12mm plywood which whilst solid, has gauges and bits off old adhesive from removing the old tiles. My question is how can I tile on this and make sure it is even.

The current plywood sits on top of floor boards and has both the bath and sink unit \ cupboard sitting on top. I therefore do not want to remove the old ply.

I intend to screw 6mm ply onto the current damaged 12mm ply. Would this be ok?

I have considered securing the 6mm ply with flexible adhesive to remove bumps etc then screwing as well. Is that sensible? Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
no dont overboard it - worst thing you could do. how bad is the ply at the moment? pics?

Many thanks for the reply. I'll get some pics tonight. Sounds like I will need to try and make good the board that is there. Out of interest - why shouldn't I overboard?

just sounds like its not needed, but also you'll introduce movement where there is none. if you can get it flat enough to overboard, then its flat enough to tile.

Sponsored Links
CTD Do a v good heavy duty floor scraper, good thick blade that can be re sharpened, makes short work of old adhesive, hard graft but worth doing if you don't want a call back! You can also get a roto stop blade for tile adhesive removal. much quicker, but can do more damage if not careful :(
Then a nice greedy bed of a good quality (Webber) single part flexible adhesive, 10mm notched will normally suffice.
Hope it went/goes well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back