Tiling over floorboards

It's a shame you resort to insults. It just undermines any credibility you may have had.

I know exactly what is involved in lifting t&g floorboards and replacing with 25mm WBP because I've done it in my last house.

The floor in the bathroom in this house failed because the combination of the floorboards and 6mm ply wasn't stiff enough and the floor flexed.

oSB and chip board are just not suitable as a substrate for tiles because they are not stiff enough and because they are not a suitable surface to bond the tiles to. The actual surface of the board that is bonded to the tile can seperate from the rest of the board as the board flexes.

If the OP doesn't want to lift the boards hew old be better to use a proprietary tile backer board.

Sponsored Links
Dont insult me and i wont insult you.

If you "know exactly whats involved" after one attempt then why not answer my earlier questions? Go on, have a go. Use that knowledge.

AAMOI: In which room did you replace the T&G in your last house? Answers please?

You are saying that the T&G floorboards flexed - then they must have been flexing before any 6mm ply was used? Did you imagine that 6mm ply & tile would stiffen this flexing floor?

I didn't introduce chipboard into this discussion - read the thread. If a 12mm board is prepped both sides, and fully glued and screwed down then how will it flex (& delaminate)? Please answer.

And now with one leap off page you introduce backer board: "proprietary tile backer board" - does use of the word "proprietary" make it sound as though you know what you are talking about. What other kind of BB would he use - home made? I could introduce a range of other practices but we are not talking about them.

"propriety" - get out of here.

Quick related question:

My kitchen is on the 1st floor: suspended floor with oak T&G 18mm surface and chipboard underlay (not sure of chipboard thickness by I suspect 18mm). I want to replace with 600x600mm porcelain tiles. Any advice? From what I've read I think probably pull the whole lot up, and replace with 18mm ply and 6mm cement board (the cement board to protect the tiles from thermal movement from the ply).

Unfortunately you choose to keep being insulting and aggressive in your posts so this will be my last post in this thread. Do you actually know what proprietary means?

It's irrelevant how well bonded the tile substrate is, it's the combined strength of the substrate, floor boards and joists that counts. It's also the surface strength of the material you're bonding to. OSB and in particular chipboard (which you brought into the thread) just aren't good enough to use reliably.

That's why all the tile adhesive manufacturers recommend the use of WBP ply or, in more recent years, a cement based tile backer board.

Hopefully the OP will take the accurate advice given in this thread and not use OSB.

Sponsored Links
I want to lay tiles over existing floorboards in my hallway. One way to do this according to my research is to first cover the boards with plywood to give a flat even surface.
Given the current high cost of plywood I was looking for alternatives and came across Metsäwood Compressed Wood Strands on the B&Q website.
Any views on the suitability (or not) of this would be much appreciated.

Not suitable, use wbp or marine ply 12mm minimum, screwed at 200mm centres.
Personally I would also ditra mat over as well, I've seen/replaced floors tiled directly onto ply that have cracked at the board joints (could actually measure 1200&2400 between cracks.) And yes, these were adequate thickness and fixings
Or use 12mm hardie backer (if it's cheaper)

First "propriety" & now "substrate" - well, knock me over with a google search. And it still doesn't answer a single question that i've put to you - not a single one.

Ree I see your in the states, could osb be something different over there?
The original question referred specifically to a type of osb sold at b&q. Do you know this product?
Have you ever tiled onto it, or osb?

What would you advise? osb or ply (regardless of cost)

OSB (often OSB 3) is, in my limited experience, the same product, with a few variations, across the world.

The original question referred to "Metasawood Compressed Wood Strands" - geraldthehamster in the next post introduced the generic term OSB. The discussion then continued to use the generic term OSB. It really does pay to read the text before posting.

Your question: "Have you ... ? Again, read the text for my views on aspects of OSB.

Your final question continues to show that either you haven't read the thread or you dont understand what you've read.

Only your first question is valid.

He's back, after twice saying he wasn't coming back he's popped up again. Perhaps he intends to make an event of his re-appearances - hamster 13 or hamster at 75, what entertainment he provides.

But, unfortunately, he still doesn't understand what he's written or what anyone else has said - so sad.

Oh wait! Just had a mystic meg message: "his duvet slipped". Well that explains this jack-in-a-box character, anyone in a brain dead coma can have the duvet slip, especially if they are having those bad dreams.

Spoken like an expert in the bizarre.

And you are back for the fourth time after making rather bizarre vows never to return.

Remember little school where one is told to: "Say what you mean, & mean what you say"?

Quick related question:

My kitchen is on the 1st floor: suspended floor with oak T&G 18mm surface and chipboard underlay (not sure of chipboard thickness by I suspect 18mm). I want to replace with 600x600mm porcelain tiles. Any advice? From what I've read I think probably pull the whole lot up, and replace with 18mm ply and 6mm cement board (the cement board to protect the tiles from thermal movement from the ply).

Yep, but may be better to use thicker ply depending on joists spacing.

Not a bit. Happy with the forum and the world. Good humour and generous heart in all i do wouldn't you say?

I do hope that you are not another of these troll like characters repeating what other foolish people have said?

Perhaps you spend your time leaping up and down with rage when not babbling on the internet? Mmmm ... mmm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back