Laying plywood over wooden floorboards - a few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Need to raise my currently wooden floorboards by 9.5mm to be level with the kitchen and utility which are currently tiled. A few questions though.

1.) My local timber merchants sells hardwood WBP and Softwood ply, about £4 difference per sheet, which should I go for ?

2.) Understand I should leave about a 10mm gap around the edge for possible expansion but each sheet should be butted up against each other.

3.) When I reach the kitchen with the tiles, should i butt the plywood right up against the tiles or leave a gap there, assume it can't be too big a gap otherwise when i eventually fit the LVT transition bar it will be too low.

4.) Laying plywood, will be over the hallway and into the living room. Should I leave a gap in the plywood when it goes into the living room ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't worry too much about expansion gaps.
Indoors temperatures and humidity are mostly stable and plywood is not subjected to much movement, especially the wbp which i would prefer.

What are you putting over the plywood? we leave on ave 3mm gap around the skirting but each sheet butted up to each other.

Thanks for the replies.
I'll be putting on underlay and quick step balance LVT as a floating floor.

And butt up against the tiles in the adjoining kitchen / utility ?
And no gaps form hallway to living room ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, obvious question but won’t that mean when I install the threshold profile file it will fall into the gap ? hope that makes sense o_O

Depends what trim you use. If you use a sticky flat trim it won’t.
If using a T section solid oak trim the. Yes you will need about 15- 20mm gap depending on the trim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back