Tiling over old adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removed old tiles, is this okay to tile over some of the old tile adhesive or should it be clean plywood, it's difficult to get most of it off

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to rip the ply up and replace. Unless it is a massive area it is only going to cost less than £100 and take a couple of hours.

You will then have a nice clean and flat surface to tile on.

I don't know how well the new addy would bond but the biggest problem will be the flatness.

Thanks iwaters, I managed to spend more time and got all the old adhesive off by using the multi-cutter with tile cutter grinder blade type. It seem they now insist using floor tile backer board or polyethylene membrane. There was a fine hairline cracks on the old tiles under the plywood joints so maybe this will be an good idea, if so, which one is best?

I'm thinking the polyethylene membrane comes in a roll, wouldn't that keep springing up when fixing?

ditra-xl-175-ceramic-tile-underlayment-membrane-5-16-x-175-sf.jpg

The picture posted is Ditra, It is heavier than it looks and should stay reasonably flat when rolled out. Plus the addy should grab it easily. Note with this stiff the manf. recommend using a 3/16" V-notched trowel, not always that easier to find and you certainly wont get it in Topps.

There are others and I think they are much the same.

Sponsored Links
They solve 2 different problems, these kinds of matting are realy to de-couple the substrates to cope with lateral movement, it shouldn't be needed in the kind of installation you describe. It sounds like your ply joints are moving as they aren't over a joist?

You'd be better (and cheaper) to overboard again using a 6mm backerboard. make sure they go over your ply joints.

Can't really see the condition off the ply in your pic....

How thick is it...

Anyway...you will have a lot off dirt/dust on it...so trying to get an adhesive to bond to it will be a nightmare....

Is it a ground floor or upstairs b/room...

Joists spacing/thickness....

What type off tiles...are you fixing....

Is it a wetroom or b/room floor....

who are they who recommend floor tile backer board? The shopkeepers who never lay tiles other than a hot glue gun on a display?

You could have gone over what you already had if the ply was good enough and not moving.

Last time I saw ditra matting specified was in commercial showers in a gym. Not really needed for a home bathroom :)

amsie - if you read the post, the op has said that the previous tiles cracked where the ply was joined.....

anyway, what do i know? i'm just a shopkeeper

amsie - if you read the post, the op has said that the previous tiles cracked where the ply was joined.....

Aye tpt....you get back in yer shop...lol..

Amsie...knows what he is talking about....judging by his last few replys in threads..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He sounds just like your normal run off the mill....bathroom basher....

Amsie...knows what he is talking about....judging by his last few replys in threads..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LMAO yup thats me did I mention I used to have a contract tiling business subbing to Metronet, all the major housebuilders and numerous shopfits/renovations etc etc employing 40 tilers and have read more M40's and run more contracts than I care to remember????? Just your average bathroom basher

LMAO yup thats me did I mention I used to have a contract tiling business subbing to Metronet, all the major housebuilders and numerous shopfits/renovations etc etc employing 40 tilers and have read more M40's and run more contracts than I care to remember????? Just your average bathroom basher

S h I t sorry .......
Didn't know you where that .....guy...ffs...

Look amsie...
This ain't who can pee the highest...it's about advice on a diynot forum...
The op are not....lets say the ..bravest...off tile fixers...
So advice...given...is to a good spec...so they don't f e c k ...up..

Side note....
Site fixers..........don't me laugh......
Cowboys.......

And I could tell ya a good few stories about the builders and the specs.....

And that's as you say the ..Nationals....ffs...

And that statement about ..top dog.....

Get a grip ...young man...

I may be a big ar sed hairy Scotsman....but I just call...a..spade ....a spade...
You and others may not like the way I...come across....on a thread....but take it anyway you want.....
I just give the advice that......I think that is needed....aye maybe over spec but better than under spec.... ;)

Ps
Ya want me to drop a few names and jobs....I have done over the years... ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back