tile over existing tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am doing a revamp of our bathroom,the old tiles are basic 6x6 white tiles,and are really well fixed to the wall,and i intend tiling over them. its very difficult to get them off,i did try but its not easy and i dont want to damage the bath trying to remove them,can someone recommend the right tile adhesive,local diy shop says any waterproof,but i am not convinced,i intend to scrub the tiles down with sugar soap to clean properly before tiling. What is the best adhesive to use,many years back in another house i tiled over tiles in a small kitchen with no problem,using basic tile adhesive. there are so any different adhesive about now its confusing. Should i coat the exisitng tiles with a bond before,again what do i use. Any advice appreciated on what to use. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
putting aside the 'should you do it', then your local tile shop isnt far wrong. Most good quality ready mixed will do it.
Dont pick anything too big, if you do the adhesive may well not set.

dont prime with anything.

another thing to remember if you are tiling over tiles, what is the substrate, as you are going to have a lot of weight on the walls, i.e. double the adhesive, double the tiles, double the grout, this all adds up to the maximum weight your substrate can hold. also if you really want to do it, I would wash the tiles with sugar soap then prime with APD / SBR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back