Why didn't the adhesive bond to the tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Help! I can't understand why non of the tile adhesive has bonded with the tile. It has bonded fully to the ditra matting but (after a battle removing the grout) all of the tiles come up with no force. Basically the grout was the only thing keeping them in place. I had expected to be chipping the adhesive off the tiles but as you can see from the photo the backs of the tiles are 'clean'.
I used flexible tile adhesive suitable for porcelain tiles and used the dot and dab method.

I am now concerned about relaying them with new adhesive in case the same thing happens.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Might have been dust on the back of the tiles, try wiping with a dark coloured damp cloth to see what comes off.

Dust, or the adhesive has been left too long before placing the tile on it and has skinned over.

However, the big problem is that they have been dot and dabbed, instead of laid properly with a notched trowel. You should be trying to achieve 90% coverage, especially on a floor. Laid as they are you'll get cracks and other failure.

I can't quite tell what the substrate is from that picture - can you tell me?

Sponsored Links
If you dot and dab floor tiles they will snap when walked on or when anything heavy is dropped.
Floor should have unbroken combed on adhesive and most tiles require the backs buttering to get an air free secure fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back