Which tile adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which tile adhesive should I use for 60x60cm porcelain floor tiles? The floor is concrete that has an area that has been self levelled & there is a small section that has been boarded? I was thinking to use a flexible adhesive? Also which size trowel would be better for this large of a tile?

Sponsored Links
I'm currently laying 60 x 60 porcelain tiles myself, albeit on wood joists with 18mm chipboard floor with 6mm tile backer board. I'm using this adhesive and I'm happy with it as it has a long pot life (up to 8 hours). I find the rapid set far too stressful as I'm only a novice diy tiler. I've used a 10 mm trowel but think 12mm would be even better. Make the notch lines straight and back butter the tiles, no problems so far.

I'm currently laying 60 x 60 porcelain tiles myself, albeit on wood joists with 18mm chipboard floor with 6mm tile backer board. I'm using this adhesive and I'm happy with it as it has a long pot life (up to 8 hours). I find the rapid set far too stressful as I'm only a novice diy tiler. I've used a 10 mm trowel but think 12mm would be even better. Make the notch lines straight and back butter the tiles, no problems so far.
Which adhesive are you using?

Sponsored Links
I used a mapei standard set flexible as well, 600mm tiles on cement board over timber. I used a 10mm square notched trowel and I'd use the next size up next time - the was just one tile that seemed to bottom out. You should be able to work out the required trowel size - they all produce a specific bed thickness and you're supposed to ascertain the deviation of the floor, and the tile (something like a straight edge across the back and measure the dip in the middle) and size accordingly.

Given that iirc, the actual bed is half (square) or a third (round) of the notch it will do no harm to err on the side of caution.

Read and understand the adhesive instructions carefully - there's setting time, open time and pot life and they all mean different things, mix in small batches and/or do any cuts in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back