Tiling over tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just viewed a prospective new house - owner is a professional tiler - and he had done a beautiful job in the kitchen (walls and floor.) However, the wall tiles are a reddish-orange and I just couldn't live with them! I know there is tile paint but I wouldn't want them to just look painted. Could they be tiled over or is this a definite no-no? Also, I hate the floor tiles (again- an orangey-peachy colour) and I have some lovely off white stone effect ones as I bought extra when I had my present shower room and hall done.
Advice sought please.

Sponsored Links
You can tile over tiles, but you must take in to consideration, how secure the current tiles are, the suitabillity of the wall for the extra weight and the tile weight that wall will be taking.
Personally if it were me and I did not like them, I would remove them and have the job done right.

Ask the pro-tiler owner of the house your thinking of buying; if he really is who he says he is, he will give you good advice but that definitely isn't tiling over tiles! It can be done but is a total bodge & really should not be done unless there is no real alternative; but if he lays tiles over a 9mm ply overboard, I may be able to guess the answer you will get.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice everyone. I note what you say about tiling over tiles and the weight. In the kitchen of the flat I am selling the tiler did tile over tiles but checked they were sound (he was sceptical) but in the end it worked fine and they look great.

Does the same go for floor tiles? The new house has awful coloured tiles on the hall & kitchen floor but they are in good condition and are laid well. I realise it's not good workmanship to cut corners but I am on a very tight budget and have enough tiles bought when I did my hall & bathroom in the present flat.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I note what you say about tiling over tiles and the weight. In the kitchen of the flat I am selling the tiler did tile over tiles but checked they were sound (he was sceptical) but in the end it worked fine and they look great.

Does the same go for floor tiles? The new house has awful coloured tiles on the hall & kitchen floor but they are in good condition and are laid well. I realise it's not good workmanship to cut corners but I am on a very tight budget and have enough tiles bought when I did my hall & bathroom in the present flat.

You can tile over floor tiles, personally I would rip them up.
But they need to be clean, a good primer used, also try to have the new tile joints staggered over the old ones.
The problem you will find though is the floor height will be raised, so any doors will need to be removed and shaved down. This will also apply to your kicker boards on the kitchen units.

as PBOD says, Yes you can tile over tile on a floor with no worries about weight issues
But as PBOD has mentioned you will have all sorts of problems regarding the new floor height, for instance will your washer fit under the bench top, if you have under bench fridge and freezer, will they fit?, doors leaving steps into other rooms etc
Personally i would lift the old floor the tile

what is the subtrate in the hall and kitchen? if its been overboarded the tiles would not be that hard to get up as compared to lifting from concrete

Thanks for your replies guys. I don't know what's under the tiles - I will try to find out diplomatically - rather than say I hate the floor you put down and want to rip it up!!

Hi All,

just signed up to the forum and picked up on this thread. I am soon to be tiling a bathroom floor and was also going to tile over existing tiles because they are really level, well laid and are only small, approx 80mm x 150mm. Would be grateful if one of you pro's could suggest a good primer.

Thanks in advance

Tegs

Hi All,

just signed up to the forum and picked up on this thread. I am soon to be tiling a bathroom floor and was also going to tile over existing tiles because they are really level, well laid and are only small, approx 80mm x 150mm. Would be grateful if one of you pro's could suggest a good primer.

Thanks in advance

Tegs

what is the subtrate first of all..concrtete/timber etc...

those are small tiles you have down what type are they? ...when tiling over tiles,you will be wanting to keep the exsisting grout lines apart from the new ones,,.. so might be pretty hard in this case...

if going down this road they will need cleaned/degreased with sugar soap then probally a primer(dependant on the bagged adhesives mfr)..

oh and by the way...Rich will be along shortly to tell you not to hijack an exsisting thread...and to start your own one, so as no one gets mixed up etc..
;) ;)

Rich how you bud ma head is killing me mate..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

bloody stellas ...to rich for my blood...me thinks.... :LOL: ;)

Thanks for the info tictic,

as a new recruit to the forum didn't mean to upset Rich, especially if he is on the Stella too!!!! :D :D

but back to business, the subtrate is concrete the tiles are years old ceramic with a shine glaze and are laid in a herringbone pattern.

what type of sugar soap would you recommend, liquid or powder mix and what primer would you go for.

regards
Tegs

oh and by the way...Rich will be along shortly to tell you not to hijack an exsisting thread...and to start your own one, so as no one gets mixed up etc..
;) ;)
I had a good one all prepared last night but, as I was prissed, thought sod it, decided not to bother & went to bed. I don’t agree with tile over tile in ANY way unless there is a very good reason other than laziness so decide not to offer advice at all.
Rich how you bud ma head is killing me mate..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)
bloody stellas ...to rich for my blood...me thinks.... :LOL: ;)
Replied to your other thread before seeing this one but not too bad ;) but have also had a largish “hair of the dog” tonight as well. I gave up drinking the grain juice many, many years ago due to the “puke” factor & the headaches it always gave me the next day. Now I drink only grape; good quality wine & Cognac mate. You might feel a bit iffy next day but never sick or get the headaches that grain will give you.

I had to go survey a potential development plot at 11:00 today so the fresh air did me good but I’ve had to spend most of the day knocking up bloody drawings; but it could well pay good dividends for me in the end!

tegs don't bodge it FFS :rolleyes: Do it properly; rip em up & start again ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back