tiling over tiles....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got a bathroom to tile and I'm going to tile over the existing tiles.

They are securely fixed to the wall.

I'm planning on sugarsoaping the existing tiles and rinsing well before tiling, is this enough or should I prime them with a tile primer?

Thanks,

Kev

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:
gcol said:
Nope that's fine.

Does the adhesive have be anything other than your regular non slip though?

Zampa are you testing me? Again your insecurity is embarrassing.
Regular tile adhesive (get the water resistant stuff - B&Q do a cerafix trade tub for a tenner) is fine. Leave it at least 3 days before you grout though so that the adhesive can properly go off - it takes longer to go off when tiling on tiles cause there's nowhere for the moisture in the adhesive to go.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Zampa said:
gcol said:
Nope that's fine.

Does the adhesive have be anything other than your regular non slip though?

Zampa are you testing me? Again your insecurity is embarrassing.
Regular tile adhesive (get the water resistant stuff - B&Q do a cerafix trade tub for a tenner) is fine. Leave it at least 3 days before you grout though so that the adhesive can properly go off - it takes longer to go off when tiling on tiles cause there's nowhere for the moisture in the adhesive to go.

Testing?...Moi?...nooooooooooooooooooooo...just wondered about what you have just mentioned...the fact that the moisture doesnt have anywhere to go, Ive heard people say that tiles are the best surface to tile onto...but given the nature of the surface ive always been unsure.

Heres one for you...tiling an upstairs floor...chipboard...does it need sealing first?...and some tilers i know reckon that you can use any old grout...I thought it would have cracked...

If you want one to test you...who was Henry the Eigths second wife?

I wouldn't tile onto chipboard cause it's too unstable. Tiling onto floorboards I board out using at least 9mm exterior ply, BAL flexible adhesive and BAL flexible grout. Expensive stuff but it works.....and lasts.

Wife No.2 was Anne Boleyn whom died 470 years ago.

gcol said:
I wouldn't tile onto chipboard cause it's too unstable. Tiling onto floorboards I board out using at least 9mm exterior ply, BAL flexible adhesive and BAL flexible grout. Expensive stuff but it works.....and lasts.

Wife No.2 was Anne Boleyn whom died 470 years ago.[/quote]

Cheers..im going to do our bathroom in the summer..

Good guess btw.. :)

Perfect,

I'll leave it a couple of extra days to let the adhesive go off.

Thanks,

Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back