Weight limit for tiling on tiles - drywalls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read a lot of queries for tiling on tiles but have not found anything regarding weight limitations.

I have recently moved into a semi detached 1st floor flat. The previous owners tiled the bathroom walls, which are drywalls with small 200mm*200mm glazed tiles. I want to tile over these with Travertine tiles which are 300mm*300mm. Do i need to be concerned with the weight of the tiles on the wall? The existing tiles are secure as i have tried to chop off but chunks of plaster are coming off when i chop the tiles off?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
There are weight limits but I personally have never seen tiles fall off/boards fail due to weight issues. Travatine is heavy though.
Sounds a bit OTT to me. Full wall tiling is stuff of the 80's.

I will only be tiling the walls around the bath so only about 5m2 on one wall and 1m2 on another. Do you think i should go for a lighter tile then?

Sponsored Links
Post this in the tiling forum and you will get the weights from the guys in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back