Tiling over wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am prepping my bathroom floor for tiling. I was planning to go over the existing timber floorboards with 6mm aqua panel cement backer boards and then tile directly on top, but having checked the manufacturers installation guide, it seems that the boards should be laid directly in top of osb boards instead.
Has anyone laid cement backer boards directly onto floor boards with good results? Or do I need to remove all of the original boards and replace with osb first?
The floor boards are a little uneven and I was planning to sand over the high points first.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
make sure all floorboards are well fixed down.beaware of pipes and cables crossing joists.
make sure thers no sqeaks or noise from pipes below the boards.
backer boards can go striaght over the floorboards.
your floor will be raised so the door might need shaving. same with any bath panel. if your resetting WC the soil connecter will be higher

Here's my advice- don't do it! Ply over the floorboards and good heavy vinyl flooring will give you a much warmer feel and no dramas with cracking grout from board movement.

Tiles are absolutely fine if the prep is done correctly on a timber floor. As above, make sure the boards are well screwed down, use a flexible tile adhesive then screw the 6mm cement boards down. Use the required joint tape bed down with tile addy. Prime then tile on top.

Sponsored Links
My bathroom was tiled over 8 years ago and have had no problems. The fitter used a flexible mash mat which stops any movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back