Tiling problems around a velux window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have tiled around veluxes before but they have happened to be the right size or with very little trimming needed!

This time though it has turned out though that on both sides of the velux there is alternating one row of nearly a full tile (fine) followed by a row if tiles less than 4 inches which are entirely over the flashing. These small cuttings of tile do not obviously include a nail hole, and even if I drilled one they would be nailed right through the flashing which I assume is not a good idea.

The tiles are not available as 1 1/2 tiles

How do I therefore stick these on around the velux?

Thank you!

Elly

Sponsored Links
We use lead mate or polymer silicone to stick the slip tile to a neighbouring tile when using concrete interlocking tiles.

It may be better to do the sticking the day before and install the pair of tiles one set.

Thanks, I hoped that was the case! Will stick it on and hope for the best. Very reassuring to have someone say what we were thinking though!.Any tips more than welcome!

I spoke to the interlocking concrete tile company and they said you can get some kind of barb on a wire that clips to the nearest batten (not from them though) and they wernt sure about it, but they had no real answers.

But looks like sticking it on might be a good option! They are only smaller lighter pieces after all so hopefully wont come unstuck and slip down

Thanks for the help :D

Hi sorry to ask again, but does it matter if you go over the 'tile stop' ridge around at the sides of the flashing? We tiled them to only a few mm from where it protrudes... do i need to do it again

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
it is more important to ensure that the foam up-stand is trimmed correctly and that if a tile does over-sail the gutter ridge then that tile needs to weather any splashes or snow build-up.

I know what i have said above may seem confusing but if you understand how the velux gutters and foam up-stand work then it will all make sense.

You should have a minimum gap of about 30mm between the tile edge and the sash.

ok, if I am understanding correctly, it sounds like I might need to redo it then -it was only as I was finishing I thought this looked different than when a did some a few years ago!

I have trimmed the foam upstand correctly and the tiles sit well onto that, but they then carry on probably too far, crossing the tile stop ridge that sticks up, and carrying on another 30mm approx to the edge of the frame.

The tile edge is therefore only a couple of mm away from where the flashing projects up and over the actual window frame, so the flashing can be seen over the actual windows, but it is hidden either side (apart from a couple of mm) where it is flush with the battens. 30mm away from the window itself would therefore be the tile stops that stick up anway.

Sorry, -not good at the technical jargon -did you mean we would have to stop at this sticking up tile stop then as you said to stop 30mm from the window? Sorry if I didnt explain myself very well!

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back