Poor tiling around Velux?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would appreciate opinion in this tiling around a Velux. Builder says it is normal "in his experience". I think it is likely to result in rain getting under the tiles, or the tiles being lifter in strong winds. There is what looks like pieces of black foam sticking out from the edges of then tiles over the flashing around the Velux.

Thanks,
Ivan.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for those links. So it doesn't sound uncommon for it to look like that then.

I do still wonder about the foam though, as to whether it should be over the upstand on the edge of the flashing or not. It isn't like a continuous strip of foam but more like uneven bits sticking out from the edge of the tiles over the top of the upstand.

Ivan.

Sponsored Links
It probably wasn't clear from my first post but the whole extension is new. When I challenged the builder, he did say he would talk to the roofer, so I guess he did use a roofer. But he still says that is just the way they are :(

Velux windows are made for pitched roofs so it probably looks worse than it is on that flat roof.

Frankly if this were on your main roof you wouldn't see it and wouldn't give it a second thought, it is only that you happen to be able to see it from the worst possible angle.

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I'll find out next time we have really bad weather.

should there not be a doubled up row of tiles at the bottom? (not an roofer)

Christ on a bike I read some blarney on this thread!

There is no way you can possibly get tiles to sit perfectly flat when installing a Velux, even more so when the tiles themselves are non profiled.

You can make efforts to reduce the kick but rest assured - there will be some kick. The foam, the lead corrugated bottom apron and the side flashings are all contribute to the problem.

Wind will not blow the rain in unless the idiot installer has messed up the foam trimming and has somehow flattened the the raised lip on the side flashings.

And whoever commented that this is a FLAT roof! Honestly! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back