Problems with Velux - tiles bow up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working with my builder to fit two Velux windows on a "flat roof to pitched roof" conversion. The angle of the new roof (circa 22 degs) is such that we have had to use quite high profile tiles - circa 35mm in thickness. I have checked and we are using the correct Velux flashing kit but the tiles are significantly bowed as they sit over the Velux foam gasket at each side of the window (they are not sitting incorrectly ie they are not on the Velux channel ridge). There is a massive gap between the tiles and the edge of the Velux when looked at edge on - approx 30mm. The builder tells me that it is normal for the tiles to kick-up like this but I'm concerned that it looks ugly and may lead to leaks. They have suggested adding further flashing over the tiles that abut the Velux, along each edge. Does anyone have any advice?

Pic links at:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5530/27vanda2qc9.jpg

and

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6493/27vandavelux3eb0.jpg

Sponsored Links
No way around that I'm afraid as it's the foam strip that is kicking the tiles up, it wouldn't have looked so bad if you had used a profiled tile but you will always get that. The Velux brochure always makes it look as though it sits well but it doesn't

Not entirely sure that those cut tiles used to cover the left hand interlock will stay there for very long though. Is that the old flashing being reused as it's looks a bit tatty (and needs a bit more dressing to the tiles)

Thanks John. I won't get Velux out for their assessment (and £55 fee). I have had a word with the builder and they are trying to trim the foam gasket a little more to compensate for the tiles and if possible angle grind the tiles to try to reduce their profile where they meet the window. I still think it will need some self-adhesive flashing at each side of the window/tile boundary - if only for cosmetic reasons. The gap at the edge does look awful when seen from above. Room enough for a crane's nest, never mind a pigeon.

And yes, the cheapskates have used some old flashing (hopefully not lifted from one of your projects!)

Many thanks again

G

With carefull trimming of the underside of the top of each tile will allow them to sit flatter.. but there will always be a bit of kick..

The flashing is the current EDZ
It does need dressing down or the wind will get it.

The pitch looks more like 15 degrees or less no way 20

Watch that top flashing.

Sponsored Links
agree with the guys. there is always a little bit of 'kick' at this part of the flashing.

there is little room to accommodate even water between roof tiles let alone a flashing system. of course there will be a bit of kick. :eek: ;)

Keep your eye on the small cut tiles along the flashing. Are they fixed down?

Also why is your fascia at two different heights?

While the 'builder' is there cutting the nibs off the tiles, you might want to get him to do the lead flashing properly, should be fitted in no more than 4ft lengths, and also plugged into wall with lead plugs. i like the way he's used his bolster to wedge the lead in place before using mastic to seal the gap. This will not last 5 mins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back