Tiling Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have fitted a quadrant shower enlosure and tiled the area indside of that only. I have tiled right up to the edge of the vertical sides to the enclosure. These sides have a lip on them of about 1 inch where the screws are that mount it to the wall. My grilfriends dad said that to seal the shower completely i shouldve tiled over this lip although it said not to in the instructions. Secondly he said that because i havent dont that the only onther way to seal it is to fill the gap of the 1 inch lip with tile grout. Does this sound right?? I was just going to put a neat bead of silicon down the tile edges so that access to the screws was maintained. Am i right to do this?
Cheers

Tom

Sponsored Links
nearly all the shower enclosures i've ever come across require you to tile first then fix the enclosure to the tiles.
you then seal, the outside of the enclosure only, to the tiles.

noseall........does indeed know all.....! His answer is very correct.

Whatever you do now is a bodge, unfortunately..!

If I am imagining your scenario corrctly, I would go with the mastic beading rather than what you f-i-l said to use grout.

Next time, tile before erecting the shower..... :rolleyes:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Cheers for the replies chaps. The problem i had was that the tiles i selected were a mosaic design and so every 2 inches or so there would be a sunken grout line. I wasnt sure if the seal on this would have been as good had i fitted the shower over these.

Sponsored Links
when fixing the aluminium receiving channel to the tiles, they suggest you apply a bead of silicone sealant to the back of the channel prior to fixing.

this prevents any problems with moderate profile distortions.

but your right for being concerned about flush fitting. some border tile profiles are quite bold and can protrude well past their regular tile neighbours.
in this case, its wise to leave the border tile, local to the point of fixing, out altogether.
at least until the shower enclosure has been fitted.

I understand, that makes sense now. Theres nothing stopping me from taking the enclosure off and tiling the surrounding areas before refitting it i suppose.

Cheers for the replies chaps.

Tom

IMO, thats the best couse of action and will give best results..... ;)

Good Luck

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back