Tiling & sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

Finally getting around to tiling above my kitchen worktop. The area in questuion has 4 dbl sockets and a cooker switch. I could easily cut around the lot and grout up to the socket but this can look crap (the sockets are v expensive chrome ones!).

Whats invloved in tiling under a socket - do I loosen/take off the socket face, tile and then drill holes for screws through the tile, if so how would you line up the holes?

Any other pointers or alternatives much appreciated.

Ian

Sponsored Links
The screws shouldn't go through the tile! Measure and cut carefully, making sure that the tile will disappear under the edge of the socket plate.

It would be preferably to remove the socket totally. If you do just loosen it off, it is important that you switch off the MCB/pull the fuse for that circuit first, wet tile adhesive and grout are probably pretty good conductors (good enough to cause some "fun" anyway!) so you don't want to splodge them across two terminals.

Yes, but we don't always have the energy :LOL:

Good point, I was thinking about longer screws but somehow it got lost between the brain and the keyboard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies folks, just bought tiles, cutter is ready and I'm about to start...

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back