Light switch: tile around it, or behind it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When tiling around an electrical socket it is good practice to run the tiles behind the socket, not round the edges of the socket. This gives a neater finish.

But what if the tile only runs up to the bottom 10 mm of light switch?
For example, I am adding 3 tile rows above my worktop. The upper 10mm of the top tile row meets the bottom of a light switch.
If I tile *behind* the bottom of the socket, the socket will stand proud of the wallpaper that is going to be used to decorate the rest of the wall above the tiles.
So, in this case, I reckon it is best to cut my tiles so they run around the bottom of the light switch, and grout the gap.

Any tips?
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Yes, remove the back box & refit it higher.
As you say your decorating, then its an ideal time.
Esp if the wires come down from the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Yes, remove the back box & refit it higher.
As you say your decorating, then its an ideal time.
Esp if the wires come down from the ceiling.

I did as you say. Hardest thing was, the back box was attached to the breeze block by two 4 inch nails. 1970s construction techniques...
It looked a bit of mess after I'd finished, but a bit of plaster tiidied it up enough to wall paper over.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back