Electrical sockets: tile around or behind?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiling around electrical sockets. Is it acceptable to cut the surrounding tiles, so that there is a 2mm gap round the socket? The gap can then be grouted.
Or should I run the surrounding tiles *behind* the socket cover, as for wallpapering. This would give a neater finish, but I would have to unscrew the socket cover quite a bit to fit in a tile behind it.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
unscrew the covers, tile behind the edge of the covers, its not a difficult part of the job, and also makes the finish look far better.

happy hunting ;)

Sponsored Links
I've noticed it done that way in a few kitchens.(DIYers) Some sockets are flush with the surface of the tiles. It looks terrible, and it must take them ages to cut and trim tiles exactly to fit around each one. If ever there's a problem with a socket/switch, and they need to replace one, it would be an awkward job to get it out without causing damage to the tiles.....although damaged tiles might make the job look better. :LOL: :LOL:

Roughcaster.

Totally agree - you might need to get some longer screws to accommodate the extra depth though.

Thanks. I've gone for behind the socket and it looks much neater.
But I do need longer screws. Are these available in the DIY sheds?

Mike

You've made the right choice Mike. Longer screws are readily available, and you can get them in silvery and brass colours. ;)

Roughcaster.

Totally agree - you might need to get some longer screws to accommodate the extra depth though.

Thanks. I've gone for behind the socket and it looks much neater.
But I do need longer screws. Are these available in the DIY sheds?

Mike

Screwfix do 75mm long screws, if you have a trade counter close to you. Click link below

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14727...crews/Electrical-Screw-M3-5-x-75mm-Pack-of-10

or any local electrical suppliers will sell them

you shouldnt need 75 mm screws unless its the cooker switch 50mm should be more than enough screw back on after 24 hours and then grout so you dont get a shock

a year and a half later Welshy decides to post, I don't know how we managed without him :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back