Dealing with large gap above socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am new here and wanted to ask your advice about an issue we have.

We have recently had a new kitchen fitted, with the brick style bevelled tiles around the walls. The wall sockets were left in the same place, so when the walls were tiled the sockets werent the same height all around, and consequently we have one socket (and adjacent switch) which had a gap along the top which was, apparently, too narrow to cut a piece of tile.

If I push the socket tight, the space between the top of the socket, and the tile above is almost exactly the width of the grouting between all the other tiles. If there were grout running along, it would look ok.

Anyhow, the people who did the tiling left it and said the electricians were meant to be moving the socket up a bit. Without going into too much detail we are not even sure the electrician will be turning up again, but we haven't been asked for the final payment from the kitchen supplier (who arranged the fitting) - so thats not much of a concern. If we sort out the gaps ourselves, we will simply deduct the cost of any materials from our final payment.

So, what are the options for making right this socket, again, if the socket is pushed in the top of it lies flush with the tiles either side. I was kind of hoping one could buy some kind of backing plate to surround the socket which would hide the gap, but I haven't seen such a thing. I also don't really want to push the socket in, then grout around it as I suspect that will crack. We might have the option of using some grey mastick (which we have left over anyway)?

Any advice appreciated, bearing in mind this is a new kitchen and we'd like it to look finished/good :)

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Just to add, there is also a thin vertical gap between the socket and the single switch next to it that we will need to address.

If sockets were to be moved it would need doing before the tiling, tiler should have measured and aligned tiles to prevent the gaps.
A squirt of white dec caulk along the top should fill the gap and not be obvious as a bodge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back